Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hand Crank - Starting

My 26 Star R Coach has an electric starter that works well -- and it appears there is an opening in the lower radiator cowling for a crank. Where might I locate a crank? And, any tips on what or not to do with it? Thanks, Ron

Re: Hand Crank - Starting

ron:
You do have a place for a hand crank but you probably never want to use it. It belongs in the tool kit. I have been hand cranking Model t for 40 years and unless you relly have to you do not want to. Can you spell broken arm.
Jan

Ron... I've got to agree with Jan on this one! Nobody wants to use a handcrank if they don't need to, but it is a nice item to have in your tool kit. If you have a picture or dimensions of the proper crank for your car... I might be able to help as I have about 20 cranks tossed in a box back in my storage building.

Jan, Jim et all: Your advice is sensible and appreciated. My electric start works perfectly. And with a AAA card and the 100 mile tow option, I'd never need to use a crank. Just a matter of nostalgia I suppose. Thanks for the advice. No need to gather more stuff. Cordially, Ron

Ron:
A hand crank is a valuable item to have in your tool kit. Really helpful when you are timing the car and just want to turn the engine over slightly. I have started the Frontenac with the crank, once when I broke a bendix spring in the starter.
Gord

The Durant Motors Automobile Club