Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Primer for Engine oil gallery

I received a call from my uncle who I bought my 1928 65. He told me that he had a pump that he used to use for primeing the oil gallery when the car would sit for a long time. When I went to pick it up I couldn't beleive what it was. It looked like a popcorn popper that had a small shaft comming through the top where he put an electric drill. I think at one time it had a crank but can't be sure. inside is a pump that stays with the lid when removed. On the top side is a short hose that you attach to the oil pump and there is a pressure gauge on the lid. My first impression was this might have been home made but looking at it I could see that it was manufactured. Does anybody know if this was manufactured by Durant or was it generic to the industry? It is very old and I would send a picture to anybody interested.

Re: Primer for Engine oil gallery

Hi Lawrence,

I am wondering if what you have may be a "bearing tester" this was a tool used throughout the industry, most repair shops had one and there were probably different configurations. Basicly if you were loosing oil pressure and wanted to identify the source of leakage you would drop the oil pan, hook this pump unit up to the oil gally or pump turn it on and pressureize the system. It could be used as well for priming the system. Just a thought, Bill

Re: Primer for Engine oil gallery

Bill you could be right. I just E mailed the pictures to Lance and have asked him to send on to others that may be interested. I have very slow Dial up internet and the picture sending is a very painful process.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club