Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Paint door jams?

Hi fellow Durant lovers,
This a question for my 1929 Model 60 touring.
Can someone tell me if the Wood part of the door jams get painted the same color as the car? If so do you use a wood paint or the same paint as you would use on the outside?

Re: Paint door jams?

Leonard:
Every car that I have restored except a custom bodied car had the jams painted the same color as the body. You can use the same paint that you paint the body with but make sure you use a good quality epoxy primer to fill and seal the wood. The biggest problem you will encounter is oil on the wood which is almost impossible to remove so make sure you seal it well. Wood will not rust but the paint will lift it is not sealed. Hope this helps
Jan

Thanks Jan. Your information is very helpful. I imagine you don't care too much about smoothness. The wood is not smooth.

Leonard

Leonard:
Remember that early cars were painted either with a brush or a spray gun which looked like a garden hose. They put a lot of paint on in a short period of time and it flowed on and off. It smoothed out a lot of imperfections in the wood. I usely spray on a heavy primer filler to smooth things out a little.
Hope thios helps.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club