Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Editor must be a member?

As a past editor, I would like to say that making membership a requirement for the position of Editor did not help the club in the past. The magazine looks super these days. It takes a lot more time than most people can give, or are willing to give. I would hate to see the magazine slide back to the old days of bleary photos and non-car related subjects.
Tony Burke

Re: Editor must be a member?

There is no logical reason why the editor of the Durant Partner has to be a member of the DMAC. An editor is an editor, they have the journalistic skills to put a magazine together. We, the members, provide the editor with the articles of a technical nature to publish in the magazine. The job of the editor is to make sure that those articles are grammatically correct.

Therefore, there is no reason for the editor to have to be a member of the DMAC, it would be nice, but it should not be mandatory

charlie

Having been an editor for several club magazines I can say that there is very little value to be gained by having this as a requirement. I have found that most editors are members but not always. I was the editor of a Model Railroad magazine for five years and I hadn't owned any rolling stock for twenty five years and i didn't belong to the club. It is a non voting postion where your primary concern is the publication of the magazine no more no less. On the other hand there is nothing stopping an editor from belonging to a club. Just my two cents worth.
Jan

If there is a problem with Jacki not being a member then give her a free membership.problem solved right.

Mike, seems to me you hit the nail on the head.As an overseas member I would just like to say what a great mag we have and I do appreciate what goes into makeing it that.For us guys it is a valuable link that makes us feel that we are part of something even if we have the distance that prevents us being able to go to meetings and the like.So thanks to our editor and all the people that keep that alive for us. You are doing a great job.
Regards barry

First our Editor is paid by the club and several members who kick in their own money. The Editor should not be paid by the club. There is at least one individual if not more that will do this for free. Second the Editor is only the collection point at this time. The Editor collects the information and then sends it to Rick to review who makes changes and etc, then it goes to the Printer, and then Bill Hoagland or Bob Krause, I forget which one drives across town to get the issue from the publisher and then manualy puts the mailing labels on. I'm sure the thougth behind the requiring the Editor to be a member is one to save the club money, and two to have someone that will at least know about Durant products to do the editing without all the people being involved. We have several members who have volunteered to do it for free so why not use them? I see no problem with saving the club money. The past Editors like Tony and Ralph and Judy did an excellent job. They were members and did it for free.

who are these members and can they guarentee the quality we have now or better.I thought being a club meant that we shared info on our cars and that way we don't need one person that thinks they know it all instead we have a lot of people that know a little and together know almost everything threw shareing info and helping each other these are just my thoughts.

I guess that I missed something!

We tried to find an editor that would produce the quality magazine the we have (the second Golden Quill Award in 2006) and the quality of the magazine was well lets say poor at best.

There is a lot of work to be the editor of a magazine, and I have no problem in paying someone to do that. But I see no reason why the individual has to be a member of the DMAC.

charlie

What is the number one requirement for being the editor. It is to put out a quality magazine. It takes a lot of people to do this. Some may be paid and others may volunteer. There is a place for everyone but one person must be responsible for the product. We have some great volunteers who put a lot of time into getting this magazine out from mailing, sorting, running around and doing things. If you have never done it, you really cannot appreciate what goes into doing a magazine. As a person who contributes an artilce I can say that there is a lot involved. Having a member or non-member do the job doesn't have a thing to do with the quality of the product. We have had members in the past do the work because they volunteered. They just happened to be members. I am not sure that John Meyer, editor of the Horseless Carriage magazine, or Ron Peterson (AACA) is a member or not only that they continue publishing fine magazines. I feel the same way about the Durant magazine.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club