Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
THE WORTH OF OUR CARS

I SAW AN AD FOR A 1930 6-14 ROADSTER RESTORED....FOR SALE FOR $58,000. I TOLD THE MAN I THOUGHT HE HAD OVERESTIMATED THE VALUE OF HIS CAR ...ONE THAT SHOULD SELL FOR $15,000 OR MAYBE $20,000 IF HE WAS LUCKY. HE FLOORED ME WHEN HE SAID THAT IT HAD SOLD EARLIER FOR 49,000 DOLLARS. I GUESS WE HAVE CREATED A MORE DESIRABLE CAR IN OUR DURANT PRODUCTS WITH OUR GREAT CLUB ACTIVITY....GARY

Re: THE WORTH OF OUR CARS

Gary
That proves that some people have more money than brains. You can see that if you check out the Barrett Jackson auctions on TV. The prices for some of these cars are ridiculous. I know many place an outragious price tag on their cars and say if some fool is dumb enough to pay that then I'll sell it to him for that, but the problem with that is that it then makes everyone think they can get that for their cars and soon they are priced right out of an average persons league. Soon ony the rich will be able to be in the hobby and the hobby will die. I've seen people sit on cars for years with a price tag that was way out there only to turn down many decent offers from someone willing to take it and restore it back to its original glory but it sits rotting away with a high price tag. I'm sure the purchaser of that car was not a car guy, but someone with a lot of money that thought it would be nice to have one of those cars and be able to tell his buddies he paid $49,000 for it while he drank champaign and smoked his cigar. Probably never will be able to tell you what the difference is between a Durant and Model A.
My two cents worth.

Colleagues: Thee seems to be a great difference between hobbiests and collectors. If a hobbyist kept accurate records of every hour (at minimum wage) involved with a pure restoration, plus the all actual costs, the amount would likely be amazing. Fully restored 1957 - 58 Chevrolets are constantly listed in the $70,00 - $80,000 range - (and selling), It has been said that antique cars (harder to drive and use) have been priced low and sell slow, which may be true. But watching the prices asked for pure restorations of just about any antique car now is moving up, often surprisingly, even though they are only worth what someone is willing to pay. Purity in restoration seems to set the mark.

I know that it is very rare, but once in a great while people have been known to lie about the price that their car sold for. I know that it is hard to believe, but I am told that it does actually happen on occassion.

Gary

TO GARY W, YOU MIGHT BE RIGHT...AFTER ALL IT WAS A DEALER I TALKED TO,,,LOL

GARY K

Who knows if this car was actually authentically restored or not. Cars that are hotrodded are some times called restorations and do bring obscene prices. It may look like an old car but underneath the hood may be a souped up engine with hydraulic brakes that can do 70 mph on the Interstate.

Bob

The Durant Motors Automobile Club