Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Chrome vs. Nickel Plating

Starpals: I have learned (I think) that chrome plating was not available in 1926, the year of my 26 Star R 2 Door Sedan. After I purchased it (recently), it was apparent that the bumpers and front pieces were beautifully chrome plated (not nickel). I'm not striving for five stars or 100 points, but sure do appreciate originality. With everything now chromed, I went to a plater who suggested that the 9" (1-3/4") wing radiator cap be chromed also, to marry the new chromed motometer I bought to finish it. Am I commiting a naughty sin with the predominance of chrome? Otherwise, this car is amazingly excellent. Was assigned 4 stars at the Glenmoore Invitational Gathering of Significant Automobiles (??) a number of months ago before I acquired it. Sure do enjoy driving it around. Does just fine up to about 35+mph, but doesn't seem too happy at higher speeds. Fun toy! Cordially, Ron

Re: Chrome vs. Nickel Plating

Ron,when I had mine chrome plated I asked and they told me that chrome won't tarnish like nickel other wise no differance as far as adding or subtracting value.

Mike: Good to know! Thanks.

If you want to be more authentic, then you need nickel for the earlier years. If you look at the difference between chrome and nickel you can see the difference.

dont say that MIKE I WONT SLEEP TONIGHT
COLOR BLIND BRIAN

Nickle is much softer to the eye and both nickle and chrome need to be polished. Nickle was originaly used as the second coat before chrome. I prefer the look of nickle but if you already have chrome I would continue with chrome.
Jan

I find it a little ironic that we question the use of a superior product called Chrome which became available in 1927, yet never question the use of a superior product called Vinyl which did not evolve for maybe two decades later. (please no hate mail) Bill

I really think it's just a matter of what you like and want. If you want to be 100% accurate in your restoration than Nickel is what you want for the early years. But who wants to have to polish the nickel so much. Today's quality chrome offered by the restoration chrome shops is triple plated and has an underlining of nickel and copper anyway. If your going to place your car in a museum then go 100% authentic. But if your going to enjoy it and have to clean it and want it to look purdy, then go with the new chrome.

On the subject of chrome and when and where it was used. The first acknowoledged use of chrome on a production car was on the 1926 Pontiac. Generaly the accepted date is 1927 unless it is a Ford the it was 1928 and I believe they actually used more stainless than anything else. Next, although Chrome was used on the exterior of vehicles after 1927, they continued to use nickel on the interior till approx 1934 or 1935.
My father has a photocopy of a page from THE DURANT SALESMANS HANDBOOK dated 1930 showing a 1930 Durant 6-14 deluxe sedann and descibing the interior brightwork plated in NICKEL!!
The Frontenac brochures however descibe the interior brightwork plated in PLATNUM which was all the rage during the art deco time. Now 99% of all RESTORED cars that you will find have had all there shiny bits done in CHROME because it is more durable and is low maintenance, and it looks good! This is your car and only you can decide what to put on. If you decide to show your restored pride and joy, don't complain about being docked points for chrome in the wrong place. All that being said, My 1922 Durant Touring has chrome on it, but I am slowly changing it over to nickel even though it doesn't make it run any better!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club