Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hardest Part to find for Durant or Star?

Here's a question for all you Durantonians. All of you that have restored either a Durant or a Star, what has been the hardest part to locate that you've needed to get to complete your restoration or what part have you just not been able to find?

Re: Hardest Part to find for Durant or Star?

my dad looked for two years for one hub cap.

Crank hole cover for a 1932 Durant 618
An original of course

Dash spears for my 1930 4-07 (same as 6-14)
Square headed knobs/cable for choke etc.
Steering wheel
Correct windshield wiper motor
Complete set of interior handles,all the same style

I just keep my eyes open ..... RonJ

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/durantstuff.htm

How about that much needed part that you know you bought a long time ago and carefully put away but can't find it now that it's the last piece you need to finish.

Or the part that you saved because some one might just need it, you'll never use it. But as soon as you sell it you find that it's just what you need for the car you just found.

Been there done that ! That's the fun of this hobby!

Frank ---

Fenders for my '23 Durant A-22...Thanks to Don Shilling who had a beautiful set of touring fenders hidden behind his airplane hanger down in Texarcana is what saved my project.

Hey, no problem!! I was about to carry those fenders across the scales when Bill came along and actually offered to buy them!!!!
I've got more goodies foolks, A little bit of everything and a not much of anything, but give me a try anyway. I might be able to get you going.
Don

Ron. Mike Butters good Durant club member up in Canada has all the proper Durant Motors molds for all the small stuff like your dash spears and knobs you need. They are made much better than new out of very hard material and triple plated. I have used a lot of his new parts. Beautiful stuff. He is in the back of all our magazines and on our club website as well. Good luck. Later Lance Haynes

The original type coil with the ignition key in the base
Ken

For my 6-14. The correct gearshift knob, with "durant 3/8 inch pipe thread" stamped on it. This is underneath the knob and no one would probably ever know if it was incorrect, but you know how it goes. It's the only part on the car that has any reference to Durant (except the badges and hubcaps of course)

Hi Lance,
I've used Mike Butters before, he is about 3 hours away from me.

He does excellent work, no two ways about it. If I was restoring my 4-07 for serious showing, money wouldn't be a problem and I'd be down to see Mike again.

My car is primarily a driver which gets shown at small local shows. I couldn't justify the expensive of having another ten new handles made for what I'm doing with the car. Most people don't even notice that I have three different patterns ... LOL!!

Therefore ... I keep looking for a used set ...

RonJ

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/durantstuff.htm

In the UK everything is hard to find but with the help of you great guys in the club it ain't so bad.
Thanks Barry

On my '30 6-14 sedan, there is a little rubber cover that fits over the gas tank sending unit. I used what was left of the original to make one as this part does not exist!
K

Keith.
The rubber cover for the sending unit is available from Steele Rubber Products in Denver, NC. I bought one for my 30. The toll free # is 1-800-544-8665.
Check www.steelerubber.com

Yates

The hardest part to find is the one your looking for what ever it is.When you don't need it you find it every where you look and when you need it it's no where to be found.

One part I have never come across is the guides for the throttle and spark controls as used on the Star "C" models. It is mounted under the dash panel in the center. With a little time and a lot of filing,though, I can reproduce it.

The items I find the hardest are the pot metal distributor housing, fuel gage, and the gas and spark levers.
Jan

Just wanted everyone to know that I have made a reproduction billet aluminum distributor housing.
I made a prototype for star model m works great in my car runs great and no worries for a blowout. Also have a friend asked to help me produce them on a cnc mill to bring the production time down from five hours and with that the price.

Regards Franz Fraitzl

Where Are You From? www.vancouverdurantstarcarconnection.ca

I have been looking for some time now for a working motor meter (radiator cap) and an ignition switch for my 1928 M2 Durant. Anyone know where I could find any of these pieces? That would just about finish my project.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club