Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Needed -- ring and pinion gear set for '29 Model 40 rear axle.

Hey guys, I'm in the process of having my neighbor (who owns a drive-line business) go through the axle of my 1929 Model 40. He found the ring gear rivets that attach the gear to the carrier are loose and were allowing the gear to slop around on the carrier.

The result being that the teeth on both the ring and pinion gears are badly worn and ready to crack and break off. So I need another ring and pinion gear set -- 8 teeth on the pinion and 39 on the ring gear.

Does anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks!

Curt Smith.

Re: Needed -- ring and pinion gear set for '29 Model 40 rear axle.

Hi Curtis
Someone likely has changed out that ring and pinion before (which may be why the rivets were loose). The Model 40 had a 9 tooth pinion and a 40 tooth ring gear. The 8/39 tooth set was for Model M, most M2's, R, most 55's, and most 60's. M4's and 40's had the 9 tooth pinion and 40 tooth ring. I have no doubt the 8/39 tooth set should work just fine, however.
Good luck with your search. A local gear maker quoted me $1500 to make a set.

Curtis
I dont know if it will work but I have a ring gear and pinion from a 1930 coupe
It has 10 teeth on the pinion (and they are worn badly ) and 44 teeth on the ring gear --in excellent shape
If you can use them they are yours for a very reasonable price Say maybe $10.00 plus shipping
Ken

Hello Curtis,

I have a 8 tooth pinion gear and two 39 tooth ring gears. If these will work for you email me and we can see if something can be worked out. Talk to you latter, Bruce Hargin, Bothell, Washington.

Hello gentlemen. Course owning and working and rebuilding all the late years (1928 thru 1931) of the Durant cars and one 27 Star I have learned a lot. All model 28 and 29 Durant and 27 and 28 model “R” Star car rear ends will accommodate the different ratio third members and pinion gears. All 27, 28, and 29 axles are the same and interchangeable. Both sides are the same length. The 30 and 31 are completely different. Will not fit our 28 and 29 cars and older cars either. Sorry about that. Please call faithful member and Durant club secretary treasure Mike Larsen (360-574-4882) up in Vancouver Washington and he can pull you parts off some of the old Durant cars I have stored there. Reasonable prices and he will ship anywhere. Faithfully.
Lance Haynes

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to send email to Bruce.

BTW my driveline expert says I need to get the ring and pinions gears as a matched set. He says it's not a good idea to mix and match ring and pinion gears from identical model axles. So, if they're a used set they have to come from the same axle.

Also, my expert was going the Durant service manual and he was surprised to find that they recommend adjusting the axle every 2500 miles. Does anyone know why the manual would have such a low number for adjuting the backlash?

Thanks again!

The Durant Motors Automobile Club