Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ignition Switch Replacement Parts

Hi All...

I have located a source for the ignition switch key cylinder. This is the pot metal part that is always broken. These are used on the combination lighting and ignition switch as made by Clum that is used on most of our cars up to 1930

The new part is machined from stainless steel and polished. It will never need replaced. It takes the old original flat key.

Am also looking at having the key reproduced

Mac Irvine up in Canada has my prototype that he is using to rebuild his ignition switch.

If you would be interested in one of these I will have a run made of them. The cost for the cylinder will be approximately $45 US. This will include shipping in either the US or Canada.

Let me know what you think.......

Frank ---

Re: Ignition Switch Replacement Parts

Frank: The same switch is used on early Dodges and I am sure they would be interested.
Jan
http://www.dodgebrothersclub.org/dbcwebsite/index.php

Frank, I would be interested in one for my 25 Star.
Will it be complete with key?
Glenn

Frank: I have installed your new ignition switch cylinder and it works like a charm!!!!! My old one literally fell into my hand in pieces when I removed the faceplate. The real beauty of your part is that, being stainless steel, it will last forever. I was able to pick up a couple of flat key blanks and made myself a key in just a few minutes with a file. Thanks for the great addition to your parts list!!

Frank
I would be interested in one for my 26star.
Al

frank I would like one for my 23 star.let me know if you can also replicate the keys.

Hi Frank, I could also use one for my 23 Star if it is the correct one for that vehicle. I could also use a key for it. Thanks, Bill

Frank--I will take one for my 30 durant if it fits. hard to find anything for durant in this country . A key blank as well if you have one
Thanks -
Ken

I'll take one, and am interested in eys, as well.

Frank,
Put me down for one complete with key.
Regards,
Peter

Hi All..

Thanks for all the interest. I have the first group of cylinders on order, will let everyone know when they are ready to ship.

Still working on a source for keys at a reasonable price. I will include a tracing of an original key with the cylinders, as Mac said they are not that hard to make.

This cylinder will not work with the later cars that have the switch on the back of the coil, they only work for the combination lighting and ignition switch as made by Clum.

Got a few more repo parts in the planning stages. Let me know if you have a need for anything specific.

Frank ---

I have an ignition switch that appears in good shape, but have no key. Let me know when these become available. This is for Clum switch on my 28 Durant 60.

Frank
I indicated I would be interested in an ignition switch and key . I now am not sure if it would fit on my car --. What do you think. Will it fit a 30 model 614 coupe ??
If so yes please but if not will you cancel my order please
Thanks
Ken

You refer to a cylinder. I assume that it is the pot metal piece into which the key is incerted, I have a 1928 M2, the key for which I refer to as "The Devil's Pitchfordk, since it consists of two tags which engage the actual swith mechanism. Will your repro work on my model? I'm guessing that it will. Right?

I would like a lock and key for my 1926 Star Touring car. Someday I will have time to start restoring the car, but for now it is fun to run around the neighborhood in its rough origional condition.
Thanks, Gary

Hi All

To answer some questions:

Yes this is the replacement for the pot metal cylinder, it is made of stainless steel and polished.

It is designed to work with the original key, which is a flat steel key with a fork on the end. I do not have a source for the key ,at a resonable price as yet, but am working on it.

This cylinder is used in the Clum combination light and ignition switch used on the Durant & Star cars up through 1929, it is not used for the switch that is on the back of the coil as used from 1930 on.

This cylinder may work on some other brands of cars that use a Clum switch, have orders from some Dodge Club members, if you have other cars let me know and I can get you some details.

My initial production run is almost sold out so if you need one let me know and I will put you on the list for them.

Should be ready to ship in about 6 weeks

Thanks for all the interest...Frank ---

Frank,
Could you send pictures of that ignition key cilinder and keys, because I have one of my whitout this part and another is broken

thanks in advance

Frank -- I have a '25 Star with its original ignition key. But this key doesn't work in my '24 Star switch. Do you possibly have the key's design configuration for this year? And when you find a source, could you obtain an appropriate key blank? Thanks.

Any update on when the switch will be available?
Thanks
Chuck

Hi All

Cylinders should be available by the end of January.

Will keep you posted, Thanks for all the interest.

Frank ---

I want one of these cylinders for my 28 M-2 Durant

I'd like one for my 27 Star. Please let me know when and where to forward payment. Thanks, Randy

Me too, for my 29 M-60. Will it work in the door hanle too? That one was functional until we tried to take it out for chroming... Place an add in the Club Mag too.

Hi All.

The switch cylinders are here and ready to ship.

If you would like one they are $45 which includes shipping in the US and Canada. Foreign orders add $5 for shipping. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.

If you would like one of these send me an email with your shipping address. If you are a member of the DMAC, I will ship one to you with a bill and you can send me a check.

Non members send a check to me at 576 McCleary Road, Hookstown, PA 15050, And I will ship you one the next day.

I will include a tracing of an original key, that can be made from flat stock, Have not found a source for a reasonably priced key as yet, but still working on that

Thanks for all the interest, many more items are comming.........Frank ---

Hey Frank, I'll need one for my '27 coupe. Dave Haggland sbend@evansinet.com

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1927 Star Coupe

please send to
2712 mckenzie ave
surrey bc canada
v4a 3h3

i would like 2 cyls please

brian boys member

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 27 star

Frank
Send one to me as well. I will likely end up modifying my ignition system so I will need it anyway
And while we are at it -what is the price of your roofikn for this car ? I seem to be having a problem getting it in my part of the world .
need 4 feet square .
Thanks -Ken

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1930deluxe rumble seat coupe model 614

Ken .. 30 - 32 have coil key in one and most people mount a coil on the firewall, then put in a regular CTC type ignition switch. There may be a lad here in Ottawa that has a pile of NOS our type. Haven't looked into it yet. Not sure what other cars these fit. All I know is someone saw a bunch of these coil / key in his garage. They used to have an auto parts business and 2nd floor was NOS from before the 50's. The son moved it all to his garage and has no inventory list.
Norm

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1932 614 sedan J5222

To: Frank Witkowski et al
Hi all,
I am now the proud owner of a 1927 Durant STAR model M coupe, that I got from David Haggland.I guess David never did get an ignition switch and key, as I have to use a screwdriver inserted into existing switch housing to light the thing up! I have noticed that there isn't much info on a '27 Star coupe out there and that parts are somewhat more difficult to obtain than I thought. The coupe's in pretty decent shape, but if I'm not too successful in finding parts, I may decide to sell it or ( God forbid ) take it apart and turn it in to a hot rod! Is there anybody in the Sacramento Ca. region that can give me any info on this beauty?
Thanks, Andrew

Do You own a car built by Durant? Yes.....a Durant STAR that I got from David Haggland via a trade

Andrew,
I talked with David shortly after he bought your car on Ebay. I made a folder of the Pics from Ebay and the pics he sent me concerning how some of the wood work went back together.
I am in the process of building a pair of '27 coupes (we're sandblasting one of the frames today), and the following forum link may be of some help.

http://pub24.bravenet.com/forum/2014460939/show/629273

Please feel free to contact me for further info.

Don

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Star touring, 1927 Star Coupe

HI Frank, hope you guys are well, I would also be interested. Thanks Dave

Do You own a car built by Durant? 29 M2 Sedan

Hi Frank. I will buy one of the stainless steel ignition switch key cylinder mentioned. Please contact me. Wayne

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1926 Star 4 Coupster

hi frank still interested in 1 cylinder same adress as previously ordered
brian boys

Do You own a car built by Durant? 26 STAR 6 SEDAN

the key u describe sounds like the key used to turn on the electricity in a cheistry class lab on the front desk panel. flat with a fork like front end. i wonder if an electrical panel source might have them????????

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 MODEL 70 COUPE & 1930 6-14 SEDAN

Hi Brian......

OK I'll put one in the mail to you......

Frank ---

Do You own a car built by Durant? 13 Durant & Star cars & a Durant Dort Buggy

HI Frank, how can I get one for my 6-60?
Thanks
Gigio

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 6-60 phaeton

hi frank, i would like to have the ignition switch replacement part for 23 durant

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes 1923 durant

Does anyone know in the reproduction cylinders Frank was making for the ignition switch are still available?

If not, does anyone have one of the reproductions they didn't use and want to sell?

I have all the parts for the ignition switch, minus the cylinder and key.

Thanks
Shane

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby Tourer

Hi Shane.....

I've been sold out of the cylinders for a long time.

A very similar key and cylinder was used in the 4 cylinder Chevies. Check with Gary Wallace Early Chevy Parts (listed in parts & services)he should have them available......

Frank ---

Where Are You From? Hookstown Pennsylvania

Do You own a car built by Durant? yes a few

Thanks Frank

I thought that may have been the case, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Cheers

Where Are You From? Australia

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1929 D40 Rugby Tourer

The Durant Motors Automobile Club