Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
distributor timeing

Can anyone tell me if the proceedure and settings are the same for a W4 engine as for a W5. and if different what these are.
Thanks Barry

Re: distributor timeing

Hi Barry

In the service manual that I reprinted the procedure for both motors is the same.

Are you trying to install a timing chain or just the distributor?

As soon as I get my scanner fixed and working I will send you a couple pages from the manual

Frank ---

Frank:
I have scanned instructions which I will send to Barry. Do you want a copy.
Jan

Hi Frank I have installed chain and distributor from the instructions I have and can't seem to get it to fire.Its almost as if no gas is getting into the cylinder but I don,t know if that is the case or not. I am kinda blameing the timeing as this is what I have been working on. I have not had this engine running befor.When it is on the compression stroke at tdc the rotor is pointing to no1 lead so I can't see the problem. its got me beat .I timed the crank on tdc with no 1 exaust valve just closeing and counted back the links on the chain and the dropped in the distributor pointing to no1 on the compression stroke.
The mind boggles.

Jan Thanks for that it will be interesting to see if the are different settings to what I have.

Barry:
You say it will not fire. Do you mean if you take a plug out, lay it on the engine, and turn it over with the starter you have no fire (spark)at the plug. If this is the case you have ignition problems (plug, wire, points, condenser, coil, switch) problems. If you have spark then try a little starting ether in the hole and see if it fires. If you have spark and it does not fire you have either fuel or timing problems.
Hope this helps
Jan

Thanks Jan, I'm begining to think it may be a fuel problem as I am sure I have set everything up ok, I do have a spark at the plugs. I will try again tomorrow.Thanks for the advice.
Regards Barry

Barry: Here is how I diagnose fuel problems. I find that there are three basic areas that can cause fuel problems assuming you have fresh gas. I check things in this order. #1 vaccum tank. If you have fuel in the vac tank then the lines between the vac tank and the fuel tank are good, you have a good vac connection at the intake manifold and you should have gas at the carburator. If not then you should check the vac line, the line between the gas tank for leaking connections. If they are tight then you will probably have to take the tank apart. Before you do pour some gas in the tank and see if it gets to the carb. #2 carburator. If you have gas in the carb bowl but none is getting to the engine check your intake manifold gasket. If you have gas to the carb but not in the bowl you probably have a float and valve problem and try knocking on the bowl to free things up. If this car has not run in a while take the carb. off and make sure mice have not built a nest. Just some quick thoughts.
Jan

Barry,
You make a good point about the last thing that you were working on could be the problem...If your valve timing is out that will upset your vaccume and it's ability to get fuel to the cylinders...As one quick check put your hand loosly on the throat of the carburetor like you were hand choking it and have someone crank over the engine, if the valve timing is far enough out that the engine won't start you should feel a definate poulsation...if the timing is correct you should feel only vaccume.

To Bill, Jan & Fran Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Just thought you might like to here the sound of my engine running. Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be the tappet adjustments too tight. Its funny how these things suddenly occur to you. this was an engine I had not ran befor, I should have checked that.
Regards Barry

Hi Barry.........

Good to hear the sound of an old engine when it comes to life!!

Glad you got it sorted out now enjoy the ride!

Frank ---

Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Now that's a nice sound !

Congrads on getting the old motor running again.

Rick

And now for a nice ride.
Jan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club