Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
30 Durant Rear Spring Shackle Replacements.....Mopar ???

Hi, Some time back someone posted info regarding a suitable replacement for 30 Durant spring shackles, I believe they were a Mopar replacement part. Would the gentleman who posted the info please contact me?
Thanks,
Dave

Re: 30 Durant Rear Spring Shackle Replacements.....Mopar ???

Hi Dave,

The post I thnk you're referring to was written by Bill Hoaglan, I've posted a copy of it below.

Rick

This is Roberts own part number (p-93) they are for Chrysler from 1941-1970 Catalogue #11, I bought mine about 2 years ago...It may be possiable to purchace from another source by the year that Chrysler used them, however they should still be available at Roberts, there is a good illistration in there catalogue and I could attempt to scan you an image if you like....Another thought I had on these shackles would be to machine a special nut (3/8"N.F.) or just use a deep nut and install a do-nothing pin-type alimite fitting on each,in other words share the pin nut with a grease fitting, that may leave even the crittics scratching their heads....Bill

Thanks Rick! Was there a phone number or address.

Dave

Hi Dave,
The last I spoke with Roberts Motor Parts 1-800-231-3180 they were sold out and didn't know if they would be able to find any more invetory...They seem to come up frequently on ebay (Chrysler,Dodge, Mopar spring shackles. Be sure that they are for the earlier models I believe that they are 2" between the links to accomidate a 1 3/4" spring width,they will also be about 1/2 inches longer between pin centers than the original type...Be aware that the later units are wider...Bill

Thanks Bill, I'll keep an eye out for them.

Hi Dave
As well as my 29 roadster I also have a 38 chrysler and have qite a few bits and pieces from that period.I'm not sure which part you need but if you want to mail me a photo I will see what I have. I know I have some spring shackle parts and I believe these were used over quite a long perion and diversity of models.
Regards barry

Anybody know if these shackles also fit '31s?
Mine are very worn.
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Use the key word "spring shackle" at the top of the page and read the thread we had going last year.
Basicly Chrysler and Durant as well as a few other manufactures used the same tapered pin and link type shackles (1927-1932), Chrysler went on to a silent U shackle(spring bushings are threaded onto a threaded U shaped shackle) then Chrysler I think in the 50s went to the hard rubber bushing type shackles, I installed a set of these in my 1931 Chrysler sedan with no modification, since Chrysler and Durant used the same original Tryon shackle then the same retrofit should work for both....Bill

Hi Dave
Reading Bills info on 2nd, It is the threaded u type that I believe I have a spare of. just thought I would let you know
Regards Barry

Hi Guys, I have managed to scrounge up enough of the original Tryon shackle parts to fix my problem. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Dave

Hi guys.
Another good place to get interchangeable old car parts is RB’s Obsolete Automobile, Inc. Ph. 800-426-6607 located Edmonds Washington just North of Seattle. I also have some brand new sides around here that are identical to our 30 Durant shackle sides and they have the bow tie emblem pressed inside one side bar. Same length and everything, I just can’t remember where I got them. Another catalog with king pins that may fit is Chevy’s of the 40’s company that have some stuff back to 1929. Try the Chevy’s 40 truck catalog. They are in Washougal, Washington. And there phone number is 800-888-2438.
Lance Haynes

hey dave,
i opened a parts box and found an old shaCKLE FROM MY 6-14 30 DURANT......call me if you want it...gary k

The Durant Motors Automobile Club