Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
windshield operator mechanism

Does anybody know where to get the gearing mechanism for a 1930 Durant, that raises and lowers the windshield?(not tilt out) mine has broken gears and worm gear. Is there a Ford operator that I might look for that will work? Thanks. Jim

Re: windshield operator mechanism

Hi Jim..........

Good to here your back home.

Late 20's Chevy, Buick etc used a very similar windshield mechanism. I may have some peices around here. Will look around, .........

Frank ---

Thanks Frank, any help is appreciated. Yes, good to be back. I won't have my car ready for Lancaster, but looking forward to next year.

The late Harvey Frid made a pattern and sold these, much better than the pot metal originals. Do Mike and Neil Butters have his patterns now? I'll tell you it helps to be able to crank up that windshield for some flow through ventilation.

Thanks, Ross, I will check with the Butter's to see if they are making them. You're right about the pot metal gears, just won't hold up to any torque.

Mike and Neil Butters do make all new gears and a new gearbox for our 30 & 31 cars windshield crank up mechanism. They have made me quit a few for about $200.00 each. You send them your old one (they don’t need the wood) and they will make an all-new hard long lasting metal mechanism. Lance Haynes

The Durant Motors Automobile Club