Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cut out Switch

??? Cut out switch on A-22 1923. What is the main function of this switch. If it didn't work could this be a cause for Car not to start?

Re: Cut out Switch

This is a 3 brush generating system. The generator puts out an unregulated voltage depending on the speed of the generator and the setting of the third brush. When the generator speeds up and puts out more than battery voltage the "cut out" closes and charges the battery. (I think the cut out should operate at 6.7 to 6.8 volts). When the generator slows down and produces less than battery voltage the "cut out" opens to prevent battery discharge thru the generator.
The cut out has nothing to do with the ignition curcuit even though the coil may be mounted on the generator.
CAUTION: When you get the engine to running, make sure the charging system is working properly because a disconected generator will work towards a meltdown if there is no load (battery) in the circuit.
,,,,,BEEN THERE---DONE THAT!
Don

Thanks Don

I'm going to resurrect this old thread, sorry.

Where should the cutout be on a 1923 A-22? I would assume on top of the generator, but on top of my generator is only the coil. If I don't have one, can I just add a universal 6-volt one?

Where Are You From? Marysville, Kans

Do You own a car built by Durant? 1923 Durant A-22 Touring

Todd, the Ford Model A or Farmall will work perfectly as they have the same values.

Where Are You From? Texarkana, TX

Do You own a car built by Durant? Several

The Durant Motors Automobile Club