Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What color do I paint

What color do I paint the underside of my 1928 65.
Fenders are black. Are under the floor boards painted and what about under the body should it be black or body color which is blue. Also I just came from a Dupont paint store and the fellow told me that spray painting was only developed in 1930 and that most vehicles of this vintage were painted by brush or by roller. Anybody have any info on this? I assume that we over restore our cars with the products availible today. Would be great to get other thoughts on this.

Re: What color do I paint

Hi Lawrence,

I've seen a film of Durants being assembled in Toronto in 1926. They used a "spraying" system. The spray gun put out a liquid jet of paint (not a mist like modern equipment). They would basically apply a thick coat applied from the top and gradually let it run down in a uniform fashion. The results in the film appeared to be quite shinny. You could see the reflexion of the assembly staff in the car paint.

Stephan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club