Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
radiator mounting

What did Durant do in mounting the radiators to the frame?
My '31 model 619 and I assume other models have the iron strap welded to the sides that goes down around the bottom of the radiator and bolts to the frame. Should there be a rubber pad between the iron strap and the frame? I don't want the vibration to shake my radiator apart, but not sure a pad would help.
Wayne

Re: radiator mounting

Good question --I will be watching for the answers myself I have a strip of 1/4 inch rubber that I just may use under mine --I am glad you brought that up
Ken

All the Durants I have taken apart have about a 3x3 inch piece of fairly thick rubber with cords in it about 1/4" to 3/8ths" thick. I always go for a lot of cushion to protect the radiator from all the jarring of the road. Old sides out of left over tires would work. Later Lance Haynes

Lance is right. All the cars I have taken apart have had a pad under the support bracket at the bolt hole. Approx 1 1/2 x 2" or so. The height of the rad also determines how the hood fits.
Gord.

Well that makes sense. Had nothing to go by. I had mine shimmed up with metal spacers or washers to make the hood fit right. Seems like it took about 1/4" to 3/8" worth. How about that. Even when the engine's running good, there's a lot of "shake, rattle and roll". Maybe not the roll, but I don't want the radiator to develop any problems.
Thanks for the info.

Hi Wayne
Is your engine mounted on rubber cushions ? Originally my engine had had vulcanised rubber on rear mounts.( similar to modern ones ) I adapted modern mounts on my car and very little vibration is transferred to chassis
Sid

Wayne
I am having urethane rad pads made up. They will be 1/4" thick and 1 1/2" by 2" with a centred hole and of the same hardness as my NOS W5 motor mount cushions. I expect they will cost about $8.00 per pair plus postage. Let me know what you need.

Thanks
Mac Irvine

I have just received sets of urethane rad pads from my manufacturer. They are the same hardness as my NOS W5 motor mount cushions and are 1 1/2" by 2" and 1/4" thick with a centre hole. These might also serve as motor mount pads. They are $8.00 per pair plus postage.

I just got the invoice for the rad pads I had made and will be able to sell them for $6.00 per pair. (Isn't it nice to see a price reduction for a change?)

Thanks
Mac

The Durant Motors Automobile Club