Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spring shackles

I would like to redo my front spring shackles on my Durant 60. Is the tapered pin on the leaf spring and on the frame bracket replaceable? Is this a pin that can be pressed out?
Thanks
Al Farnum

Re: Spring shackles

Al,

Those tapered pins are replaceable but I know of no source for them, you will no doubt find that your cast side links are also worn so replacing the tapered pins will only solve half of your problem...To remove the pins from the hangers and spring eyes, first make a drift punch by machining or drilling clearance in the end of a steel drift to clear the tapered pointed part of the shackle pin so the punch will drive on the shoulder of the tapered pin, next have someone help you by bucking the backside with a heavy sledge hammer or the like as they will be very tight...I had concidered machining new parts for my rear shackles but decided to replace my shackles with an assembly with a replaceable hard rubber/urathane easy to replace bushing...I see that now my front original shackles are also crealing so I have ordered a set for them as well (Robertsons have two sets left of (p-93 @ $22.50 then no more)...I have saved my old original cast side links with the thoughts of converting them at some point to recieve the rubber replacement bushings...Hope this helps, Bill

The Durant Motors Automobile Club