Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Unleaded Gasoline for W5 4 cylinder engine - 1929 Rugby/Durant

My restoration will include the engine. Leaded and lead replacement petrol is fast dissappearing from the service station pumps over here. Can anyone advise on improvements for use with modern gas for my engine or gas additives or what is happening over there. Locally there will be LRP available for about 18 months, which will be about when I will be ready to run. Merry Xmas, Ross

Re: Unleaded Gasoline for W5 4 cylinder engine - 1929 Rugby/Durant

One of the purposes of lead in the fuel was to provide lubrication for the valves and valve seats. If you are rebuilding the engine, try to use hard valves and seats if they are being redone.

I have been using regular unleaded fuel for some time now though in my W-8 without having any problems, and I'm sure others have too.

Ron ...

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/

Hi guys:
Ron is right about the lead being used to lubricate the valves etc. Leaded fuel first came on the market in the early thirties - remember the little sign on the gas pumps - contains ethyl - anti knock. The early engines did not have the benefit of leaded fuel but then again the gas didn't have all the goodness cracked out of it. I have been told that the addition of a quart of diesel fuel added to a tank of gasoline will make these old engines run better. Haven't tried it myself, but there is more lubrication in diesel than gasoline.
I have been running unleaded in the 32 Frontenac for years now with no ill affects. It does have hardened valve seats.

Merry Christmas.

Gord.

Our Durant cars probably don't really need leaded gasoline at the speeds we drive them, but I have always put in a lead additive, (not substitute) in my 28 Durant M-2 Sedan. You can get it by the quart at many tractor supply and part stores. I use 1 oz. per Gal. Fritz

The Durant Motors Automobile Club