Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Spring meet for new East Coast Chapter

OK East Coast members, where do you think would be a good meeting location for a Spring meet? Let's start getting some input. Anybody up for Asheville, North Carolina? Great roads, Biltmore Estate to tour etc. Anybody else out there working on this?

Re: Spring meet for new East Coast Chapter

I have been to Ashville, and agree that it is a good, but not great location, I would think that a location closer to a larger city would be more appropriate.

Since the annual meeting was in NJ, we should be either going to New England or the Mid-Atlantic states.

One question that is important is that there should be a member that lives close to which ever place we choose for all of the logistics that are necessary........and trust me there are a lot of logistics.

Another important item is the date.....Spring begins in late March, but one would think that an April or May time frame would be better. And there are a lot of events that need to be avoided during those months.

Yes, I know that I did not suggest an alternate city, I need to do some research before I do that.

Charlie

Thanks Charlie for the input, I was just thinking about a halfway point for the Eastern members along with some nice drives and sights. Remember you have members down South here also. Only a thought though. Maybe some other members will respond with some other areas.

One of the first things is to get some members interested, other that those who signed up at New Jersey and a couple others who responded on the forum, there has been no other interest in an east coast chapter.

If we are going to have a meet here we will need a central location within a couple hours of the most participants.

Lancaster, Pennsylvania comes to mind. Lots of things to do and see. Some beautiful back roads and very easy to get to. Also a lot of activities and shopping for the ladies.

The time of year is very important, spring is a very busy time of year for a lot of people, summer may be a better option.

I count about 10 names on the last East Coast chapter posting in October. How many do we need to form a chapter? Out Lancaster way would also be great, Lot's of good roads, sites and home cooking.

Hey guys: Great to hear that you are having your own meet. The Ontario Chapter will be having their "10th Annual Durant Gathering" July 1 - 3, 2005 at CARLISLE, Ontario, Canada. (Very close to Hamilton, Ontario) Would love to have you visit. Keep us posted on your meet.

Gord

Lancaster PA is a good choice also.
Williamsburg VA?

Another suggestion is to stay close to the I-95 corridor for ease off getting there, especially with a trailer. I know that I would like to be able to drive down one day...spend two there and then drive home on a Sunday or Monday, as the case may be.

Gordon:

I have been to Hamilton, Ontario...loved that city. There is a Canadian Air Force museum not far from Hamilton that was really nice

Your dates are not good for those of us south of the border since July 4 is an important holiday.

Charlie

Charlie;
Yes, Williamsburg VA would be great! Haven't been there in awhile. About 12 hour drive for us in Florida but doable, and all interstate driving. According to an email I received from Yates, Carol And Larry Fogarazzo were going to be a contact point for the Eastern Chapter. Larry you out there? Let's get some more opinions, what do the rest of you Easterners think about Williamsburg, Virginia? When a decision is made, I'd be willing to help to make plans, hotels, group passes etc.

I will attend regardless of where we meet. Williamsburg would probably be more centrally located for those in Florida.. All locations mentioned have great potential. I will be glad to check on accomodations when we pick a location

Let's get rolling.....

Yates

One important thing to remember. Parking for trailers.

Once we choose a location, the hotel does not have to be fancy, just clean and a comfortable bed, and hot water.

Another option is Myrtle Beach, SC. One downside to that area is golfers tend to swarm in the spring to Myrtle Beach.

Another option is the Richmond, VA area. Since it it on I-95 there is easy access for most in the north-south corridor. But, I have no clue what there is to do in that part of Virginia.

Charlie

Unless your a Civil War buff, Richmond doesn't have a lot to do. Williamsburg would not only have the famous old colonial village, but it also has the Anheiser Bush plant and Bush Gardens theme park to tour. There is also a lot of factory outlet stores and antique shops for the ladies if they want. It is a short drive from Williamsburg to Jamestown, one of the first or earliest settlements on the East coast. It is now a living history museum where they also show how the first settlers lived with demonstrations on blowing glass, making shoes etc. Also for those that do love history, Yorktown and the battlefield is a short drive, where Lord Cornwallis was defeated in the American Revolution which basically ended the American Revolution, it's a National Park now. It's about a 30 minute drive from Williamsburg via two lane roads, could be a nice drive. Quite a few restaurants and good eating in the area, since it's not far from the Chesapeake Bay. The drive to Williamsburg is all Interstate. Once we get a general agreement on the location from most of the East coast members, then we can find out the area hotels that could accomadate all of us and the trailers. OK now we've heard from Charlie, Yates, Frank and myself. What do all you others think out there?

An interesting observation, there have been 175 looks at these posts, but only 11 have commented.

I know that many that read these posts are not from the East Coast, but you are invited to attend as well no matter where you live.

And I know that there are many people that are live along the Atlantic Coast that have not posted.

Charlie

I am one of the "lookers" at this posting .would love to attend but it is a bit too far since I was that way in May and June.Drove 10,000 miles then so afraid its not on the books this year.
I wish you all well and if anyone is coming out to western Canada anytime, give me a call.
I would like a chance to show some western hospitality to repay all the good things that I got on my trip
Ken

The East Coast Chapter also needs to think about a "logo" or photo.

The Canadian Chapter has the Canadian Flag, and the Pacific Coast Chapter has a nice photo of bluffs and the ocean.

One suggestion for the East Coast Chapter is a lighthouse. Or a lighthouse with a Durant also in the photo.

Just like the potential locations for the meeting, just trying to get some thought process started.

Charlie

The idea of a lighthouse caught my eye. I am originally from Maine,a state with many lighthouses. If the spring meet would be some where in the northeast, I would plan my yearly trek to Maine around this time. Looking forward to attending.
Al Farnum.

Charlie
I think the idea of a lighthouse in the logo is great. I'm a great fan of lighthouses, and have always visited any I can find along my travels. Anyone out there willing to try their hand at being a graphic artist and puting some ideas down. We're not trying to be pushy, just trying to get the East Coast chapter off to a start.

How about a light house with a couple Durant's and Stars parked outside. With digital images just about anything can be accomplished.

We have a lot of members who are not on the internet. A notice about the East Coast chapter needs put in the Partner.

Great ideas and input so far let's get this chapter going

Frank

I'd be willing to create a notice or letter announcing the forming of an East Coast Chapter and mail it to everyone listed East of the Mississippi on the Membership roster, as well as having it posted in the Partner. We still need a contact person, and I haven't received any responce from my email from Larry and Carol who had volunteered earlier to be the point of contact. If I send a letter out, I need to list a point of contact.

Charlie that is a great idea on the lighthouse. Lets have a contest and let the East Coast Chapter members vote on the logo. You have some lighthouses in your area and we have some nice ones in NC. A Durant in the foreground and a lighthouse in the background. Members dressed in vintage clothing in front of a Durant or whatever. Any takers?? I will get a picture of my 30 Durant in front of Cape Lookout for a starter. Charlie you have twin lighthouses in NJ and I can't remember the name. My son Mike is a lighthouse nut and has taken pictures of most of the lighthouses from SC to Canada. If we can't get individual pics he can use his pics and a car in front. I had rather (not Dan) see the real thing.

Mike you also have a great idea on contacting the east coast members What about Hershey in the Fall??We had anywhere from 25 to 35 attend each year. We met at the Comfort Inn in the center of the activities.Cost for room was $100.00 and it would accomodate about 60 people.

Yates

If You check out the Club Chapters button you'll se that Rick has had me listed as the contact person, since just after the NJ meet. I haven't heard from anyone new.

I think we've exhausted the members on the internet, need to get a listing in the Partner next issue...........

Frank

Your right Frank, it would be a great idea if someone wrote an article about the creation of the East Coast Chapter and ran it in the next issue of the Durant Partner. The vast majority of DMAC members still don't have Internet access and reply solely on the magazine for information.

Rick

How about if we do both the article in our magazine and a direct mailing. If someone will write the article for the magazine, I will put together either a letter or flyer and mail it out to all the members in the roster who live in the East. Or do you think that's overkill.

Mike,

Based on my experience there is no such thing as overkill, go get em!

===============================

Mike and Frank, the new chapter has a page reserved for it here on the website, I'll be happy to post anything you send me.

Rick

If no one has written an article for the Durant Partner I will be glad to do so promptly. Let me know...

Yates

Yates
I think it would be great for you to write an article for the next Partner. I volunteered to make a flyer to mail out to everyone, and Frank W. said if I sent half to him he'd mail them out. So between Frank and I we will get them out over the next week or so. I've counted about 89 or so DMAC members East of the Mississippi to mail these out to. Frank has agreed to be the point of contact, at least initially, for the East Coast Chapter. I guess the next thing is if there is enough interest, agreeing on a place to meet next year, a time to meet, and a logo. I like the idea that Charlie gave with the lighthouse and the durants maybe we can have the contest you talked about to come up with the logo. As long as we can keep up the momentum, then I know we can make this happen!

So far we have three suggestions on the board for meeting locations. Lancaster/and or the Gettysburg Pennsylvania area, Williamsburg, Virginia, and Asheville, North Carolina. Any other suggestions? All have beautiful country to visit. Once we get a list of locations, we can put it to a vote.

Everyone interested in the East Coast Chapter FYI I have finished the membership notice flyers, and half have been mailed to Frank W to ship out. A Flyer has been provided to Haley for the Partner, and Yates has sent a letter to Haley for publication in the next Partner. There is a list of questions on page 2 of the flyer for members to answer so we can get a feel of what everyone wants to do. Let's see what happens now!

if pennsylvania is picked for the east coast meet the new aaca museum in hershey would be a great place to visit for the members. it is a great museum and i am sure we could do some kind of an event with them at the location.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club