Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Colors offered for 1929 model year?

OK club members, Does anyone know of how many and what colors were offered for the 1929 model year? Particularly for the Model 40? Other than black of course.

Re: Colors offered for 1929 model year?

From what I have been told, for $25 extra, and a three week waiting time you could have any color that you wanted.

I am not sure that sky blue pink was on the list, but certainly blue, green, cream, red, brown, and several other colors more interesting than black were available on the 1929 Durants.

Charlie

yes, there were sevral colors offered by the factory in 1929. However, most were very dark by today's standards. My favorite is Toranto Red (factory misspelling?) It is what today we would consider a maroon.

Rick

I have a set of '29 Durant paint chips which show:
- Florentine Blue (very dark greenish navy)
- Cambray Green (very dark)
- Galway Green (even darker - almost black)
- Tunis Blue (very dark navy - almost black)

I have the "recipes" for these if it would help but all are based on Proxlin paint colours plus tinting. The chips are all pretty dark and muddy but the colours might look much better on a car.

Based on my research, I believe that special colors could be ordered from the factory in 1929. Could each factory have been a little bit different in what they could, or would offer? I am sure of it.

Not everything was totally uniform at Durant. Oakland Durants were different than New Jersey Durants in little ways. My 29 Roadster was what was referred to as "The Cardinal Special" in honor of the Stanford University football team. It came from the factory Stanford Red. I have matched the color and have the paint codes, if anyone should ever need it.
Rick Botti has a copy of the Durant add showing the car in the 29 Stanford yearbook.

Gary
Atlanta

I should have looked closer at our own DMAC tech page here on the web, in sales bulletin 25-G it has the colors offered for at least the Durants manufactured in 1929 from the Leaside plant. Thanks for all the responces.

Mike

1929 BLUE COLORS

DO YOU HAVE RECIPES FOR THE FLORENTINE AND THE TUNIS BLUE COLORS--- NOT SURE WHICH MINE IS....
THANK YOU

Where Are You From? MAINE

Do You own a car built by Durant? YES

The Durant Motors Automobile Club