Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
radiator cap.

I'm having difficulty fitting a rad cap on my '31 model 619. The top of the neck is even with the top of the shell so a cap has to either stand up taller (have teh edge of teh cap at or above the brass pressure seal) or be small dia to fit down around the tube. Haven't had luck finding one that goes. I don't need a Butters special - just something that fits - my 619 is a plain jane. Don't see how I can adjust the radiator in the shell to raise the tube. So there must have been a cap that fits. Any clues?
Wayne

Re: radiator cap.

No solution for you, but if it makes you feel any better, I curse the rad cap on my 1930 4-07. The cap engages the radiator and bears down on the shell all right, but if I hit a bump when the engine is hot and coolant is expanded, it often spits out past the shell and dribbles on the shell and hood ... grrrrr!

Haven't found a solution other than keeping the coolant level down and lowering the overflow tube.

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/durantstuff.htm

Hi, guys if theres this much problem fitting the rad cap how about taking the rad to the rad shop and having them extend the neck up to fit a cap properly.
steve

Is there space between the tank at the top of the radiator and the shell? If so maybe you can add spacers between the bottom of the radiator and the frame just enough so the cap will screw on properly. Just a thought as I am not familar with this model.

Bob

There is space between the tank and the shell, but there is also a bracket on the top of the tank that bolts to the shell and teh braces from the cowl. So there's no adjustment there. The tank is original - has been re-cored, but I see no way other than extending the neck, and hesitate to do that being it is orig. I just figured I needed to find a cap that fit. Thought there might be another 31 owner or someone who has seen the deal.
I'll find a way - take a couple caps apart and make one fit. Or get a bigger hammer.
Wayne

Although my cap engages the neck of the rad, it doesn't seal against the neck, it pulls down snug against the shell. Do I have the wrong cap?

Ron ...

Where Are You From? www.ronjpics.com/durantstuff.htm

Hi Fellows. I have restored a number of these 30 and one 1931 619 cars and none had a stock radiator cap with them. All the ones I tried spewed out water around it when driving fast and the engine hot. We now have a Mike and Neil Butters new stock proper cap with the beautiful swallow bird made into the top on the 1930 407 you see on the back of our latest magazine. It has never leaked and Charlie Spitz and I drive that car all over the southern California freeways fast in the hot weather down here. I have ordered another one from Mike Butters for this 30 Durant 614 rumble seat coupe we are doing right now. yes all the fill spouts (neck) are flush with the top of the radiator and that is proper and stock. Butters have all the molds to make us authentic parts from the original stock Durant Motors. Get one and end all your problems and make your car look sharp. BTW Mike and Neil Butters are dues paying members up in Canada and very supportive of our club. There is no better chrome than the chrome they use on all there parts. They are two really fair and classy fellows. Mike is coming to our fall meet in NJ. Later Lance

The Durant Motors Automobile Club