Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
battery charging

OK, I may need some help - at least free advice. Decided to get my '31 model 619 out of the garage on such a beautiful day yesterday here in Iowa. So... I put the battery charger on. Was so eager, I didn't pay attention. Well, my Durant was set up for positive ground. Whether that should be is another story, but that's how it is. As you may have guessed at this point, I connected the cables red to red/black to black. that's ususally OK except my red is from the battery negative to the starter solenoid.
Wasn't long before there was a minor pop and the charger meter dropped to 0. Could have ruined the battery, the charger or something more valuable.
Then I noticed I also had left the key on when I had determined that I need the charge.
So what could've I done? I did connect it back correctly after disconnecting the battery cables. the charger meter looked normal then. Guess I will so if it will take a charge. Then see how my poor car reacts. Anyone want to offer me advice on my stupidity?
Wayne

Re: battery charging

Probably, the most serious thing that happened was you just triped the charger circuit breaker, which reset itself. Since you reconnected properly, nothing serious occured.
Charge it up and go riding!!
Don

Re: battery charging

Everything turned out OK. Car is running - the main thing. Next thing is to find a radiator cap that fits so I can warm the engine up.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club