Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Touring canvas roof support

Can somebody give me some clues or pictures, about the supports that hold the roof bows and mechanism when folded? Those parts are detachable and go in the rear part of the vehicle, should be fixed in a bushing hold by a bracket, that is fixed to the body, by means of a stud or bolt.
In my car, a 1928 M2 mentioned parts are missing and I have no idea how they look like. somebody told me that some equivalent Ford parts may fit.
Thanks
Ricardo H.Colombo

Re: Touring canvas roof support

Ricardo: What you are talking about are top saddles for a touring car. If you have pictures send them to me and I will see what I can do for you. I can at least tell you whether Model T saddles will fit or they or more related to a Moon saddles.
Thanks
Jan

Hi Richardo,
You asked a good questions. I have a Model 60 1929 I don't think mine is original. I am planning to put a new top on and would like to know how it was originally. I would be interested in knowing what you find out. Could you send me some pictures how the top is suppose to rest when open? Thanks Leonard

Leonard:

Sent answer via mail with attachments, may be heavy and not reach your hands, if you have any trouble communicate by this mean or by mail.

Regards

Ricardo

Ricardo....I might suggest that before you buy or build your "top rests or saddles" that you put your top in the down position tucking in all top material from between the top bows so the top is fully collapsed, make sure that the top does not obstruct your vision while setting in the drivers seat and that you are happy with it's appearance..Temperally support the top in this possition and measure the distance between the top rest access hole and the bottom of the bottom bow...This is the "drop" that your saddle will require....Don't know about the M2 but my A-22 required a 5 1/4" drop, this set my top just off the spare tire...In my case I simply made my own (J) type brackets from 1"x3/16" flat bar and lined them with hood lacing...Another trick that we did while making the top we also made a top Boot from the same material as the top (and spare tire cover)and sewed in a stiffner (wearherproof pannel board)in the lower half of the boot, when the top is down the baggyness is supported by the spare tire...Rick has an address to a picture under posting "Western Regional Meet" below...Hope this may help...Bill

Bill:

Thank you very much for sharing all your experiences, I will follow your advise step by step.

Abusing from your patience, another question about the canvas roof. Do you know what type of fasteners go in doors to fix the canvas of the side curtains?

My car has only the holes and I do not know if there go "lift the dot" type as seen in some picture posted in the Club or "durable dot" of which I have no information at all and are listed in a copy of a 1924 spare parts catalogue.

Best regards and thanks again.

Ricardo

On my A-22 Touring, and the M2 may be similar, I used the "single Lift The Dot studs on 10-32 machine screws" for the outter windshield frames and on the sides and doors the "single lift the dot on wood screws" however get a few extra of each, if the wood won't hold a screw than the machine screw may hold in the metal skin....The Durable Fastners are the snaps that are used to secure your top canvas around the lower back corners and to the back bow pocket...You can see all these fastners in the catalogue pages 77-78-79 at (lebaronbonney.com)They also have about every thing else that you may need...Prop Nuts and tab lockwashers, side curtain rod sockets..welting tips, all kinds of neet stuff...Take care, Bill

Wonderful Bill, you are an amazing knowledge well.

Thanks again.

Ricardo

Richardo:
I just sent you pictures of a top saddle for your car.
Thanks
Jan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club