Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
1919 Star Pickup

howdy guys, I am going to look at a 1919 Star Convertible pickup tomorrow evening. I talked with the guy on the phone today and he says its all there including running gear with good sheet metal but most of the wood is rotted. It has wood spoked wheels and is rollable to load on trailer. He hasn't set a price and i'm wondering what it might be worth. There is an old country store about 5 miles from here that sold Star Cars and Trucks. Thanks for any help or advise. Steve

Re: 1919 Star Pickup

Check it a little closer Steve. Durant didn't start producing Stars until 1922. Whatever year, it will be a neat project.

Don, Thanks for the info. I know absolutely nothing about Star vehicles except that they used to be sold just down the road. I am supposed to meet him at 6pm at his place and i guess i'll check it out and try to bring it home. I buy, sell , trade {and keep tooooooo many according to the wife } old{mainly British} motorcycles , but this sounds to cool not to check out. Thanks again Steve

There were six Star automobile companys prior to Durant motors using the name for thier Ford competitor, the Star. No Stars where made in 1919 according to the standard catalog of American Cars, second edition.

Steve:
I will email you a page from the Star Sales brochure which shows this vehicle so you will have some idea as to what it looks like.
Jan

Jan , Thanks for the pictures. Unfortunately , The truck was not even recognizable as a truck . It was in waist deep weeds where it looked like it had been for years. The guy STRETCHED {by miles} the truth about the condition. What was there was extremely rusty. Bed side were laying on the back , grill and radiator were not there, engine had head unbolted and sitting about 2 inches over block , windshield frame was laying in back, and front axle on passenger side was buried in the dirt. He told me over the phone that it was rollable , so i took a 16 ft. trailer up. Did i mention i drove 1 1/2 hours in the rain to get there and he wasn't there. Not a good day. His wife eventually showed up to cofirm that the pile was the truck and then took me 5 miles down the road to look at the 1940 chevy truck "with surface rust but no holes." It was a 46 and i could have stuck my head thru the door. The engine in the Star had a brass tag on the left side that said it was a Star made by Durant. In the pouring rain , i couldn't make out the serial #. There was a number cast on the left side of the block " W6A - 600. It was a 4 cylider. If after this tale any of you are interested , The "truck " is outside Radford Virginia . The Lying SOBs name is Sam Holley and his phone # is 540 639 6859. Thanks for all of your help and good luck with your vehicles. Steve

I forgot to mention the asking price is $400. Might be worth it for parts. Steve

It's really amazing what some people think of their own property. This guys spin on it's condition really turned into a Tailspin!
On the other hand, with 40 gallons of bondo,,,,,
Don

Sorry it didn't work out but give it time and you will find one out there.
Jan

The Durant Motors Automobile Club