Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Head Gasket

Gentleman;
Will a W4 head gasket fit (work on) an A22 Engine?
Durant's own engine design. My car is an 1923 A22 Durant. Thanking you for your input.
Ken Brink

Re: Head Gasket

Ken...I don't think there could be much similarity between the two, the A-22 is an overhead valve with just 8 headbolts...the W-4 of coarse is a flathead...Although Durant designed the A-22 engine both were manufactured by Continental Motors...My personal thoughts are that Durant's old racing team, the Chevrolet brothers may have had a big influence in the A-22 design....If you need a gasket Olsen's Gasket or Frank Withrow would have one, or occasionaly one will come up on Ebay....Bill

Thanks Bill

Ken There are two different A-22 head gaskets. One has a water jacket? hole in the center, (later version), and one doesn't. Some catalogs list the A-22 Durant motor as....Continental....A. Could be the first time that Continental made a motor of someone else's design. Another time would be the Hall engine found in some Durants and DeVauxs.

Ken I have been trying to answer my fathers e-mail while he's gone. For those of you who don't know he and my mother are driving their motorhome to alaska. Anyways as Bill and Bob have already told you the w-4 engine and the engine used in the A-22 are totaly different. Are you and Dorothy coming to the canadian durant weekend if so I have a head gasket if you need one. hope to see you soon, Will

Thanks Gord,
Yes we plan on coming to the Meet.
I have head gaskets for W4. At this time I am not in need for head gaskets. I purchase the W4 head gaskets when I was lead to belive that our engine was a W4. That was when I purchased my car back 14 years ago. I ordered than just to have head gaskets on hand if needed.

Sorry Will,
I was thinking of your folks, when I addressed the reply. Dorothy and I hope all goes well with there trip.
Ken

Ken, I am in need of a head gasket for my W-4 engine. Are you interested in selling them? If so just email me and we'll talk. Thanks, Bob

The Durant Motors Automobile Club