Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Headlights

hi guys i have finally got my own computer and the internet

As many of you may already know from talking to my father (Gord Curl) we are rebuilding a 1922 Durant touring. This car has led a interesting life and one day I might know the whole story.
I am trying to figure out what the correct headlight
lens is. This car came with 1929 Whippet headlight? I now have the correct headlight pots,rings and reflectors. The lens that I have are "LIBERTY" lens but the only way they will fit, the word liberty is backwards!

Re: Headlights

Hi Will,
Welcome aboard the computer world...My 23 Durant had lense marked Hudson, which I think are the lense that came with the car. I think that there was a manufacturer by that name and not for the Hudson automobile. Maybe some of experts can help us both out. Maybe Bill Hoaglan and Jack Malpass can shed some light as they both have early Durants

Yates

Hey Will....Welcome, good to see you on line...I took a quick look in my 1923 parts book and it lists the Durant part # but also shows (National) as the supplier of the lense but does not give the size of the lense...I do have a set of National 8 1/8" lenses but don't have a lense chart to see if they would be the correct size....on my A-22 I have the original drum pots and reflectors but had no rims so I found that with a little modification that model T rims would fit and am using an 8" Tilt Ray lense, my headlamps are not 100% original but I think they look pretty good......When will we be seeing the "after restoration" pictures of your '22 Touring car?...Take care... Bill

My JIMMIE A22 Sport Tourer has a new O.S headlight rims with Spreadlite lens on original drum type lamps and reflectors. The size is 6 3/4inches across the raised part that fits the internal size of the rim and 7 3/4 inches outside diameter that clips into the front of the reflector. They have vertical flutes and the word Spreadlite across the bottom. I have one spare lens and could try to locate more in NZ if this will help you. I have spare set of 1924 Buick headlamps complete almost perfect. The lens are 7 1/4 with an 8 inch external diameter if they are any good to you please advise. They have the embossed rims which need rechroming but the reflecters are perfect. Hope this helps.

Always make sure of your facts before you ask a question, and never rely on your memory. My headlight lens are NATIONAL I am not sure what I was thinking when I mentioned LIBERTY however the fact remains that the lens fit much better backwards than forwards. I was just curious to see if anybody else had run into the same problem.

The Durant Motors Automobile Club