Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with 1923 Star engine

I am considering buying a 1923 Star chasis with running gear, engine etc. to make a speedster. The distributor, housing clamp for distributor and water pump are missing. I was told I can use a chevrolet 4cyl. distributor. Is this true? What do I do about the housing clamp? I was told they were made of pot metal and easily broke. Does anyone reproduce these? Is it hard to find a water pump? I would also need a hood for the car. Any suggestions?

Re: Help with 1923 Star engine

Robert:
Where are you located? I know of a running gear in Ky that sounds like it is in better shape then what you are looking at.

Distributor housing were pot metal and can be hard to find. You can use a 4 cyc chev distributor but it requires some machine work. I am running a willis distributor on my 24.

Water pumps are more plentiful then distributors but finding a good one can be hard.

Hope this helps
Jan

Jan, Thanks very much for the reply. I live in Rhode Island but I would consider anything east of the Missisippi for the right price. Do you know the condition and price of this one in Kentuckey?

Bob The motor you have is a W-4, not a W-5? Bob

The engine in the car I am considering is the original W-4. Thanks

Bob If you deside to go with the project, I have a W-4 motor...complete, distributor, starter, generator, water pump that you can have. I'm in the Flint, MI area. Bob

WOW! Now I know I'm picking the right car. With an organization like this and people like yourself, how can I go wrong. I'll email you toget details. Thanks so much, Bob

The Durant Motors Automobile Club