Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wooden Top Bows

Can anyone lend any help in going about fabricating the wooden top bows for a '23 Star? Dad and I have the original bows but they are in pretty rough shape - not bad enough that they couldn't be used as very good templates, however. Dad is quite adept at wood working but has never bent stock this thick before. Is there a better wood - ash, oak??? Should we just save our pennies and get someone else to do it? HHMMM?

Re: Wooden Top Bows

I am in the same process as Jeff, for a 1928 M2 Rugby, old parts are good only for templates, but I have a serious doubt. Along this 76 years as have been steam bended, do they keep the original curvatures or copying as they are I will end with an enlarged roof? I only have a 1924 Star part list were state widths of 1st: 51,5 - 2nd : 50 - 3rd: 52,5 - 4th: 53" from front to back. My present 28 bows are wider. Somebody know if size changed between those years or can give me 1928 widths from outside to outside.

Thanks

Ricardo

The Durant Motors Automobile Club