Durant Motors Internet Forum

Our Purpose

Preserve the automobiles manufactured by the Durant Motor Company, provide enjoyment for each member with meets, tours & technical assistance.

This forum is provided by the Durant Motors Automobile Club located at durantmotors.org

How to Add Pictures             Rocky

General Discussion Forum
Start a New Topic 
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Electric system
I have a 1929 Model 666 Durant. A mechanic suggests converting it from a 6 volt system to a 12. Any advice?????
Views: 401   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 7:38pm
by gary k
1928 Rugby Stake + 400 other cars :for sale
1928 Rugby Stake Truck -sale by auction/no reserve. also 400 other cars See "rmauctions.com" for list of cars to be sold. Other pictures of same on "www.fawcett-movie-cars.com" Preview Sept 14--Sale Sept 15&16 Some interesting cars available WILL FRANK FORGET AB...
Views: 418   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 11, 2007 9:10am
by Dave Roberts [TH...
transmission removal
If anyone is experienced with tranny removal from a Durant without lots of removals, I'd like to talk to them. Couldn't find anything by seaching the forum and I do not have a mechanics manual. I have a '31 619 with the 22A Continental engine and 3 speed. I want to s...
Views: 274   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 9, 2007 11:22pm
by Lance Haynes
Rear axel seals for Bango style rear end.
The Annual meet is coming up and I was told that I need to replace the rear outer seals on our Differential. The brakes were to be replaced until my Mechanic said that I needed to replace the seals be fore he will do any more work. Differential is on my 1923 A22 Bang...
Views: 303   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 9, 2007 4:16am
by Yates Milton
Star Roadster Pickup For Sale on E-Bay
Search on "Durant Star" and check out the pick-up for sale! It's close by and my checkbook keeps saying "let's bid". Alas, my storage space is beyond full.
Views: 264   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 7, 2007 9:10pm
by Dave Schulte
looking for a part
I'm a new member of the club and have a 1929 Roadster that I'm restoring and am looking for a radiator apron. Can anyone help? Thank you...Bill
Views: 280   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 7, 2007 8:34am
by Mike Linthicum
Barn Find in Pasadena
Durant fans, Would anyone be interested in a barn find that looks to be in need of a total restoration? It's a neighbor's(that I don't know very well and who does not occupy the home anymore) and it's sitting under a tarp under his carport. A neighbor(that I do kn...
Views: 320   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 6, 2007 4:09pm
by Greg Wervey
k
Ken
Distributor?
Looks like I have a '72 (+/-) VW vacuum distributor on my '23 Star C model. I need a mechanical one, but with the gears on the bottom of the shaft. Should I try for another VW one or what? Suggestions,please. Thanx!
Views: 482   Replies: 5
Last Post: Aug 6, 2007 2:50pm
by Mike Rice
Parts Hunting
We're still blowin' n goin' on our 1927 Star M Coupes. Presently I'm starting construction of finished body woodwork and Butch is working on the frames, axels, and leaf springs. Concerning the leaf springs, is there a source of spring shackles, shackle bolts and spr...
Views: 299   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 6, 2007 1:29pm
by eliot
Head Gasket for D40
Hi Fellow Durant Members, Can you help with the name of a supplier & their web site or email for a Head Gasket 425 for a 1929 D40. Parts are very hard to source down under. John
Views: 298   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 4, 2007 9:29am
by Mike Rice
Durant Star Station Wagon
Hello, I'm new to all of this but my family is starting to restore the car that my grandfather bought some years back. Everyone has their own jobs and mine with the cars is to research the history and be able to know where the car came from. I looking for any info...
Views: 646   Replies: 13
Last Post: Aug 4, 2007 3:55am
by David Roberts [T...
Intake Valves
Does anyone know where we may get 6 usable or new intake valves for the Continental 15-L engine??
Views: 376   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 1, 2007 7:59pm
by Dave Webster
g
gary k
pictures of your car parts for club I.D. manual
FELLOW DURANTONIANS, HOPEFULLY, YOU REMEBER THAT WE ARE GOING TO TRY TO PUT TOGETHER AN IDENTIFICATION MANUAL FOR THE IMPORTANT PARTS FOR EACH MODEL OF OUR CLUB CARS.THIS BIG TASK REQUIRES INPUT FROM AS MANY MEMBERS AS POSSIBLE. TAKE TIME THIS SUMMER (OR WINTER DOWN...
Views: 361   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 31, 2007 9:55am
by Frank Witkowski
Parts
I am looking for a rad for a 1 ton truck and other parts
Views: 296   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 30, 2007 8:42pm
by Orville Maerz
D-55 Vibration
My '28 D-55 Coupe develops a bad vibration between 25 and 30 mph. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I should start looking to fix this. When the vibration starts it sounds like the entire drive train is going to fly apart. I have to assume that this is...
Views: 338   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 30, 2007 6:59pm
by gary k
Need more stuff
Can anyone help, I'm looking for a wiring harness, and is there a place I can get the outer rims for 29 Durant M2. Mine will not line up after I put new tires on, tried and tried. Thanks Dave
Views: 450   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jul 30, 2007 6:30pm
by Steve Large
Auburn Dash Plaque
Hi All.... Thought you might like to see what the dash plaque for the National meet will look like. Each registered participant will get one. Another good reason to get those registrations in to Mike. If we do have any extras, they will be for sale after th...
Views: 369   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 30, 2007 6:43am
by Frank Witkowski
My '27 Coupe needs help!
Hi all, The other day, as I was coming back home from a Model A club meet, My Star coupe was running fine, then all of a sudden it just came to a halt. Kind if like a brake locked up.....or maybe rear end? maybe transmission? I put it in reverse & drove it backwa...
Views: 304   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 27, 2007 11:30am
by Rick Botti
Hood Ornament 1933 Beacon , Flyer or Ace
A very close friend of mine is in the home stretch of completing his 1933 Beacon restoration and is in desperate need of a hood ornament to complete the package. The ornament is of a nude woman with her arms out stretched and flowing hair, his base that this attaches...
Views: 355   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 27, 2007 5:50am
by Giovanni Maiolo
Auborn 2007
I've received about 6 registrations so far for the Auburn meet but I know there is more coming for sure. This is going to be a great meeting in a great part of the country, so don't miss out on this one. It's a chance for many mid-westerners to come to a meet and enj...
Views: 517   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jul 26, 2007 8:57pm
by Wayne Farrand
I'm looking for parts.
Hi Again, can anyone tell me where I can find a manifold nut that holds the exhaust ? and is it possible to find a radiator cover for my 29, mine will take a lot to repair.
Views: 506   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 25, 2007 3:36pm
by Dave Ford
Flint NOS Hubcaps
I came across a company (Vintage Auto Parts) offering NOS hubcaps for a Flint. Here's the link for those interested: http://www.vapinc.com/Oneofakind/other/other4.html
Views: 266   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 24, 2007 8:41pm
by Jim Greenamyer
A good Day.
Yesterday Sat. 7/21/07 I motored our Durant to a car show for the Day. What made this a good Day is that during the show I had 3 people through out the Day approched me. First person said that there is a Lady in Muskegon that has a 1924 Star convertable for sale, h...
Views: 299   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 22, 2007 6:47pm
by gary k
Last known Durant factory worker "Rocky" dies at 99
Sad news came over the phone this morning from our faithful member Charlie Spitz that our great friend and ex Durant factory work (Rocky) Russell Howland died at 99 yesterday. As many of you remember we invited him to tour the Elizabeth New Jersey Durant factory with...
Views: 454   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 21, 2007 3:43pm
by Rick Botti
Lubrication
The manual for my Star says that the universal joints should be oiled with 600W oil. However, they all have an Alemite grease fitting instead of an oil plug. Should I grease these or disassemble and clean them and then fill them with oil?
Views: 393   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 19, 2007 6:05am
by Jan Arnett
Most Identifiable Durant Product
Hi All....... Of all the various cars out there, which are the most easily identified as being products of Durant Motors ??? I would say any of the models (40, 60 M2, M4 etc) with the rad shell with the bars. As well as the 614 with the hood spears. What ab...
Views: 338   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 18, 2007 9:42pm
by ross hoevet
I need help identifying a Continental Engine
Hi Everyone, I need help identifying a 4 cylinder engine that a friend has. It came out of a field and was being used as a water pump engine. It has overhead valves but no valve cover, Tillison carburator and Durant style clutch and throw out bearing. The generato...
Views: 595   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 17, 2007 8:27am
by Phil Peters
Loose Differential Housing
The housing (part no. 20309) that covers the universal joint between the clutch and the transmission on my 1925 Star is loose. I can easily wiggle it and it will rattle occasionally. The universal joint itself appears to be fine. Is this normal or is something out...
Views: 275   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 16, 2007 9:33pm
by Vince O'Brien
Rear seat springs
My 26 Star is a frame off restoration -- hardly a flaw now, inside and out. However, the rear seat (2 door) seems "soft," but not lumpy, likely relating to springs. Is this the nature of the beast, or are there correction opportunities?
Views: 336   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 13, 2007 6:19pm
by Greg Krueger
Latest Issue - Durant Partner
Just finished reading the latest issue of the DURANT PARTNER. WOW.... Great job Carol... The pictures are sharp as a tack and the changes are superb. Would also like to thank those who contributed. As a member of the AACA I much prefer our small magazine over what th...
Views: 792   Replies: 20
Last Post: Jul 12, 2007 8:53pm
by Graham Mock
Transmission Trivia
Butch and I have been dismantling 3 "M" trannys in the last couple of days and have found a peculiar trend. All the ball bearings in all transmissions are made in Italy! Was this a Durant practice to use imported components? Anybody have any insight on this matt...
Views: 380   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 12, 2007 8:13pm
by cdmn
Headlamp on eBay
There is a "Tilt Ray" headlamp on eBay at the present. Some later Durants used this lamp item 7901383794 Lots of luck
Views: 359   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 12, 2007 9:32am
by Manuel Campos
Car Show Participant
Want to see a 1930 Durant Deluxe Sedan in a car show? http://www.livecarshows.com/Sespe.html Type the above into your internet search and see my wife Cyndi and I at the 2007 4th of July Sespe Creek car show and festival sponsored by the Fillmore & Western Railw...
Views: 374   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 12, 2007 8:50am
by D. J. Federlein
Wood on the Station Wagon
This past weekend my family and I finally were able to get the Star out. After we carefully pull it out we were able to inspect all aspects of the car. After looking carefully some of the wood appears to be rotted or falling apart. We would like to replace this to th...
Views: 299   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 11, 2007 1:29pm
by Jan Arnett
Auburn Restoration Talks & Demonstrations
Hi All...... One of the ideas we are working on for the National Meet, is to have some demonstrations from members on various restoration techniques. Here's your chance to share your skills with other members. We are looking for any ideas. These can be from...
Views: 366   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jul 8, 2007 9:19am
by Mike Linthicum
h
Hanson
do I hot rod or restore a 28 55?
How rare is a 1928 model 55 four dour deluxe Durant? The sheet metal is so georgeous it would make an awesome hot rod. Where would a person get rid of the rest of the car? It is complete: wheels, tires, all metal parts, etc.
Views: 337   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 7, 2007 11:38am
by Dave Schulte
Need Help Again
Thanks for the help on last item, does anyone know where I can find clutch disc pads, they are about 3 inches long and there are 8 of them riveted on, they look like brake pads.
Views: 323   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 6, 2007 7:09am
by Frank Witkowski
1923 Star 2dr runabout [roadster] gas tank,seat springs,bumpers etc.
Ha any one out there know of a gas tank seat springs bumpers for my 1923 star roadster also a spare tire and mount.
Views: 334   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 6, 2007 3:01am
by Yates Milton
g
gary k
rugby "speedster" on ebay
don't miss the Rugby speedster for sale on ebay...it isn't original but it is definitely interesting... regards, gary k
Views: 287   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 5:07pm
by gary k
d
David
Durant Star Engine, 4-Cylinder, FOR SALE
1926 circa 4-Cylinder Durant Star Motor on a wooden skid. Radiator is included. Engine was mounted to the skid to drive a mill or other type of farm machinery. Engine is not frozen and still turns over by hand, but has not been run in several years. Serial Number...
Views: 463   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 2:44pm
by David
Painting Your Car
Don Shilling in a recent post mentioned color sanding. As a "Do It Yourself" person, I would like to see an article both for the website and the Durant Partner on painting your car. I do not recall ever seeing anything about painting a car in the Durant Partner or ou...
Views: 487   Replies: 7
Last Post: Jul 5, 2007 9:17am
by Jan Arnett
old folks memory
dear rick.what is the chance of getting you to put all these great restoration tips from the website onto a disc that we could buy to make a few $$$$ for the club and have forever....????? regards, gary k
Views: 321   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jul 3, 2007 2:43pm
by Rick Botti
Ammeter Reading
I got my 25 Star out of storage today and drove it home. On idle, the ammeter reads 10 amps charging but it drops to zero at higher revs (e.g. when I'm cruising at 35). Is this normal? P.S. I live in the SF Bay area. To get the car home I have to cross the Rich...
Views: 341   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 2, 2007 7:06am
by Keith Nordquist
Rugby and Durant badges
Hi guys [oops, and gals] I currently have listed on eBay a 1924 Rugby badge [ 320132157331]. I was intrigued why this site did not pick up on the words Rugby and Durant in its eBay segment. It turns out that the segment is 'ebay motors' specific, and as i had liste...
Views: 282   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 30, 2007 5:43am
by Paul Durrant
windshield window riser mechanism
Hi group I have done it again. Broke my windshield raising mechanism.Had another but it is broken as well and I cant make a good one out of two. Does anyone have the complete setup to sell. It has the double gears -One at each end . I broke the pot metal part t...
Views: 558   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 29, 2007 9:26am
by Lance Haynes
Paint
I own a 1929 Durant Model 666. The blue paint is faded and almost gone in spots. It comes off on the drying towels when I wash the car. I was trying to avoid re-painting since it is the original paint, but this may not be possible. Any suggestions?
Views: 274   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 28, 2007 5:13pm
by Don Shilling
re: Star 4 cylinder motor for sale
I have a not-siezed 4 cylinder Star motor for sale if anyone needs one. the price is negoitable. It has the brass tag as Installed by the Continental engine Co. I guess the serial # could be available if you were concerned about the year. I think it is for a 1926 but...
Views: 290   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 28, 2007 2:28pm
by brent chalmers
Car find of the Century???
Folks, check out this web page and decide for yourself or wait and see if this is a hoax. If it's for real it's got to be the find of the century!! http://www.metafilter.com/58748/Huge-classic-car-find-in-barn-in-Portugal Don
Views: 373   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 28, 2007 11:57am
by Frank Witkowski
Tire Pressure
What is the proper air pressure for 4.5-4.75 x 21 tires, for my 1925 Model F Star? I was raised on fat tubeless tires so I don’t have any idea what the tire pressure should be for skinny tubed tires. Thanks Chuck
Views: 400   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 27, 2007 9:38am
by Jan Arnett
Brake Cables
I'm looking for a source for brake cables for my 1930 614. I have 2 complete, but they look a little sketchy. Any help would be appreciated!
Views: 259   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 27, 2007 5:56am
by Al DeWitt
69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78

The Durant Motors Automobile Club