AGRR™ magazine/glassBYTEs.com™ Message Forum

AGRR Magazine
AGRR™ Magazine

glassBYTEs.com

AGRSS

NWRA

Key Media & Research
Privacy Policy

ATTENTIONThe glassBYTEs.com forum is being retooled and will return with a new look and functionality that will hopefully help our readers even more. Watch for an announcement when it will be ready, it will be a few months.

You can still stay up on daily news and comment on stories by signing up for the glassBYTEs daily e-newsletter at glass.com/subcenter. There is no charge. Hope to see you there!
General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Glass Software That ID's Correct Windshields

I admit that I am old school and probably a dinosaur. Since I am a single point and don't solicit insurance work, buying/renting glass programs have not made economic sense to me.
However this past year, I find myself calling more and more dealers with VIN numbers and trying to decipher what is the correct aftermarket windshield to order without visually seeing the car. Mercedes and BMW seem to have the most options. Heated windshields in Toyota and Subaru sometimes can be determined if car has heated seats or side mirrors.
I got stumped yesterday regarding a 2012 TSX. Brought both the 2994 and 3369 with me and ended up using the 2994 solely because the 3369 was not acoustic. I did not see any other detail like VIN slot, RV mirror frits or shade band that told me differences. In retrospect, I could have called the dealer then and there and asked him to compare the OE part number via VIN with a 2009 or a 2014 and that should have told me the correct one to install.
So this lengthy preamble leads up to this:
Is there a glass program that correctly identifies the right windshield when a VIN is inputted? If so, who are they and how successful are they?

Re: Glass Software That ID's Correct Windshields

I use Glass Mate. Been using for years with no issues.

Re: Glass Software That ID\'s Correct Windshields

I use glassmate and it does not break it down to the exact windshield I have to call the dealer as well and cross over to nags # this is not right as we pay for the correct information but get a list of windshields that fit that car even with the vin#

Re: Glass Software That ID\\\'s Correct Windshields

Have you used the vin decoder?

Re: Glass Software That ID\\\\\\\'s Correct Windshields

None of the point-of-sale systems or commercially available VIN decoding programs have the ability to show what windshield with dealer installed options are installed.

The only companies that will have this information are the dealerships or dealer groups. Their systems have both plant and s**** build information that will tell what glass was installed. There is a law that takes effect in 2016 that may open this up but the question will be, how much will it cost to license the data?

I know that the IGA looked at licensing data from the big 3 to include in its Total Shop Management product and it was too cost prohibitive. Some 2012+ Toyota model data may be available in TSM by the end of the year at no cost to IGA members.

Re: Glass Software That ID\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s Correct

FYI the vin decoder just gives you year make and not exact model ie. LS,LT,SS,etc. but does not break down exact parts for the car you are working on, I have to call dealer with vin# for that

VIN numbers do not include glass information.

They do from the dealer, they can tell which glass was installed at the factory

You may try to visit this http://herveybayautoglass.com.au/. You might find autoglass windshield and other stuff that you are looking for. Hope it will help.

That post was not relevant to the topic

Copyright © AGRR™/glassBYTEs™ All rights reserved.
20 PGA Drive, Suite 201, Stafford, Virginia 22554
540-720-5584 (P) 540-720-5687 (F) info@agrrmag.com
www.agrrmag.com / www.glassbytes.com