Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Publishing has been disabled so I am completely blocked

Hello,

Let me explain my situation.

Sometime recently the goal posts must have been moved because I have been using this free site version for years with no problem but now I find that I can't make any changes because the publishing function has been disabled, as I have used 5.8 storage space and you are only allowed 5.

I found this out because I went to the website wizard to delete some info and a whole page on my site. When I clicked on publish updates I was told that it had been disabled for the aforesaid reason.

I was told to upgrade or delete files in the file manager. So, I went to file manager to delete the page. Then I noticed that it said that you can't use file manager and wizard at the same time because the wizard overrides the file manager and that I should disable the wizard if I wanted to use the file manager.

Well, I am completely stumped because I can't for the life of me see how you disable the wizard.

By deleting the page (which no longer shows up in the directory list)I believe I have gone back within the limit of the storage space, but it still says that I have used 5.8!

How do I disable the wizard please so that I can use the file manager (although I have already deleted the page in the file manager!!.

I have hunted and hunted but can't see what to do.

I thank you in advance for any assistance you can give me.

Angel cuddles,

Sarah

Browser: firefox

Re: Publishing has been disabled so I am completely blocked

1. Clean up files either using File Manager or a third party FTP program
2. Clean up files again in Wizard
3. Publish

You may need to wait overnight between steps 2 and 3 as people have reported that deletions do not register against the usage allowance in real time.

Hello Peter,

I deleted the page from the wizard and then from the file manager because it was only after I had deleted it from the wizard that I realised that I couldn't publish. This was a number of days ago but I still get the message that publish feature has been disabled.

When I try to publish it says "Your site is now ready to be published to the Internet. Your Website will be published to: http:// " and as you can see it doesn't give the website url.

As I said before, now that I have deleted the page, I believe I have gone below the 5 storage but the alterations don't seem to make any difference.

I am completely stumped. As I am a free member I can't get support from Bravenet.

Thanks for offering help.

Angel cuddles,

Sarah

The only thing I can think of to do is completely delete the site and start it all over again. If I do that, will I be able to use the same url again afterwards because I have that url on all our gite publicity and business cards?

If going to redo your site then redo your site DON'T delete your subdomain name if you delete that then you can't get it back.

You delete that part seperately from the pages.

I would look into perhaps another editor to make your site and can upload/publish via ftp etc.

Would have a lot more control than would with the Wizard and or Visual/Text editor. And don't mix those either because the Wizard publishing is strictly if you made your site/edit your site there.

If you venture out and then go back to wizard and hit publish any work you did is lost as it keeps a database of your site ONLY as it looked when in the wizard.

But myself don't like having the restrictions you do with bravenet's editors so went out on my own and used an editor where I could control it a little more.

But with the free hosting/free subdomain now it is only 5mb of space and your space can be used up quickly especially if you have any oversized images or files.

That happens a lot when people post an image on their page and think it is one size when it is totally another size altogether.

So check any images you are using and make sure optimized down to an appropriate size because any near 1mb or higher are WAY too big.

You can use irfanview as a graphics program for images.

Bravenet at one time had it where you could have more space with the free hosting/subdomain but changed that here last year or start of this year.

I wish knew more if the issue is something with the wizard or what you are doing

Hello Jeff,

I have been wondering if I posted this query in the right forum. Should I have posted in the service forum?

Anyway, when you said: "If going to redo your site then redo your site DON'T delete your subdomain name if you delete that then you can't get it back." do you mean that I shouldn't click the delete button on the right when I go into websites and it shows view, manage, disable etc? If I click on that will it just delete the pages of the site or the subdomain name?

I am not terribly au fait with this stuff as you may have gathered by now, sorry!

I used the wizard because this was the very first time I was making a site and was completely green (back in 2005, I believe it was).

I can't see how to "redo" the site as you put it.

I wish I had known that these changes were going to take place and that the storage allowance was going to diminish. I would have done something at the time.

I am getting frustrated because I need to update the gite info as I am starting to get enquiries for next year and it doesn't look good to send people to a site that is totally out of date. If it is necessary for me to completely redo the site, I'd rather do that than leave it sitting there outdated.

But if I delete the subdomain or upgrade I am no better off as far as my publicity materials and already printed cards etc. are concerned.

I just want the publish feature to be re-enabled so that I can sort out the site. I don't understand why the deletion has had no effect on the storage used. It is frustrating to not be able to contact someone from bravenet to be able to get the publish feature enabled again.

Angel cuddles,
Sarah

Hi Sara,

The easiest way to fix this is to delete and reduce your image size. I had a look into your website and you have a lot of very large images, 550kb and up. Delete some larger images if you can, or reduce the size of them. Do this in the file manager. And image on the web shouldn't need to be any larger then 100kb, even that is fairly generous for most people.

Once your site is down under 5mb you should be able to publish again with no problems. Publishing in the website wizard will not bring back any images you delete.

Courtnie

Hello Courtnie,

When I deleted the page which also had some photos on it, by my calculations it took it below the 5 mb but the storage used didn't change at all.

I will see if I can do what u suggest although I don't quite understand how to change the size of the image in the file manager.

Thank you,

Sarah

Hello again Courtnie,

Just wanted to let you know that what you suggested worked.

Thank you to all of you for helping me and for being patient with me. Phew! I am very relieved.

Angel cuddles,

Sarah

Hi Sara,

Happy to hear you got it working.

Courtnie