This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Membership only forum

I am looking to make my Forum into a membership only. I have had several postings that have irritated viewers and would like people to register thier account to be able to biew and post on the forum. I have a Pro Forum. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Membership only forum

these forums here at bravenet are not membership ones

look into phpbb style forums or delete the posts that are inappropriate

There has to be a way. Perhaps there is an additional app available on the internet or something Bravenet provides that would enable this. I want the users to have to use the same screen name and account, this could make it so users that are out of line on a consistent basis could be suspended from use of the forum for a period of time.

the forums are just as you see here.

Anyone can type anything in the name/e-mail areas and more and post

password protect your forum or something.

I know you have the pro version but the ads are gone with that and you have more characters and things you can type but NOTHING on membership yet with the forums.

Maybe down the road.

But as said there are other types of forums where you have to login using your ID/password to post and moderators can keep track of the threads or areas or subject areas and can delete the posts or you can ban someone perhaps. Although banning someone they could come back under another ID and more.

I am part of many forums where it has a little more you have to be registered, and has moderators but sometimes even that is not enough at times.

You approve the memberships and a lot of times you get spammers signing up as well so have to watch that with those type of forums

Right now bravenet forums are not fully up with the other forums like that so for now

I have other types of forums too, I dont want to switch to another provider as I will lose information from several years. Are you telling me I have no options at all other then buying a different provider?

If you want your forum to be a membership type forum otherwise YOU have to keep the one you have on your site which is a bravenet one.

At this time their is no software you can add to make bravenet forums members only.

Password protect your forum and those who have the login can access it

Whether that will help.

Bravenet forums are NOT Like all the rest out there that have more with moderating and or having you have to use a login/password to even get in and post.

THis is just a simple forum for right now

Short of deleting the posts that are causing problems right now about all you can do if you want to keep your BRAVENET Forum

Bravenet have targetted the market for open access forums rather than the far more heavily populated market for member only forums.

As a webmaster it is down to you to decide what you want when you first set things up. If you make the wrong choice then you will have to take some sort of hit when you change over.

Thanks for the information. Can I set up a password just to view the forum?

Look into the password protect service and see if that is what you want

Otherwise you are stuck

Has anyone had any experience using the Password Protect application? Can I setup literally thousands of passwords for different users?

How does the Password Protect service work?
From Bravenet Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
You must place the Login Form code on the page you want people to log in from, and add the Security Code inside the header of all the pages you want to protect.

A visitor will complete the online form and click on the "Login" button. The visitor is then shown the webpage that you selected to be viewed with that login.

The Password Protection system allows you to assign a username and password to pages, not people.

I know some have used the PG service with their forums.

If this is what you want.

IT IS UP TO YOU AND YOU ALONE AS TO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO

WE CAN GO NO FURTHER

You EITHER CHOOSE bravenet's forum or look for another

Wow, thanks for the information so kindly offered. I will try to use the Password protect. In the future I will just try to pry it out of you sooner so I only waste your time with posting once.

I am having the same concerns. I will most likely go to another server which gives the option of requiring registration to post

there are phpbb style forums out there

proboards is one where you have to register to even see the forum/topics and post etc.

Bravenet here is just a plain one where you can type in anything in answer to the questions and post

You don't have to fill out all questions or anything.

With some type of the phpbb style or proboards or smf

You can assign moderators to each main Topic you have within your forum and more. Those people assigned as moderators can control the posts if any are offensive may have the privilege to delete that post.

If main administrator of forum gives the moderators the privilege etc.

This is just a generalized forum and well if wanted something more personalized look elsewhere.

If just want something simple then stay with bravenet

As am part of a few forums the type you are looking for I have to say some are monitored good and others are not even at that because just letting anyone sign up and most of the sign ups tend to be spammers. As with odd names and add things to their registration that clearly gives them away as a spammer or bot