This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Third party FTP

My noob question - I am trying to access my new Bravehost (free) website using my own FTP Program (CuteFTP). What host address do I use please, or how do I setup my web site so I can use my own FTP program? I am obvioulsy missing something very basic here?

Browser: IE8

Re: Third party FTP

Drover -- I'm not familiar with your FTP program, but I can tell you what I did to get mine to work with Bravenet. If I'm doing extra steps instead of a more direct route, I'm sure someone else here will tell us both, OK?

First, I would open a new SFTP account (just click on the SFTP tab after you sign in). Click on 'New SFTP Account' and follow the directions. It's been many years since I opened mine and I still have FTP enabled, but if your stuff's all new, recent material, I would imagine you don't need to enable the old FTP style.

Once you've done this, you should have a 'username' and a 'password' (choose a different password than that of your regular Bravenet account). Now from the SFTP tab you should see a table that lists the 'Path', 'Username', Server/Hostname' as well as editing features. This should give you all the info you need for your own program. My username consists of a 10-digit number followed by a dash (I tried it without this dash by mistake and it wouldn't work without all the characters, so be sure to do the same if given to you). The 'host' for my account is 'ftp9.bravehost.com' (hope I'm not giving away any secrets) and be sure to type '...braveHOST' not '...braveNET' if that's what you see, too. As I said, as far as 'Legacy FTP' goes, you can choose it by ticking the 'enable' box if you find you need to, but it's better security if you don't tick that box.

So, to review, add your SFTP account to your Bravenet account. Next, open your FTP program and tell it your 'Server/Hostname', 'Username' and 'Password' from the info on your Bravenet SFTP account and you should be able to see the connection on your program. Again, I may have been here a long while, but it's been so long since I opened my FTP account that I don't remember the exact steps it took to open it AND my other FTP program is different from yours, so if you have any specific problems getting either accounts up and running, check your FTP's help files, the Bravenet wiki/help files or write back here. Hopefully, someone else might know where I went wrong with my instructions, OK? Good luck!

SBernheart

Browser: IE8 - Safari for Windows - Firefox

Re: Third party FTP

Thanks for that, as soon as I can get back into my PC after a small mishap I will give it a go and let you know.

Browser: IE8