This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Website Renewal

Sorry to bother you guys again, but I'm still not able to update my pages from the text/visual editor window. I needed to get my disc space under 5MB, but how long would that normally take to clear and/or do I need to renew my account somewhere I'm not seeing? From the text editor, the left pane shows:

The Bravenet FTP server is not available at this time. Please try again later. (Connect Failed)
and the center shows:
The Bravenet FTP server is not available at this time. Please try again later. (No FTP Server Passed In) For additional assistance, visit our Help Center.
Upon reviewing the wiki about free accounts:
Your Bravenet account will expire if you do not login within 6 months and have no upgraded services.
Really? How long has it been this way? I had emailed Bravenet some time ago about not being able to log in to my account because the email used to store my password was an old email that no longer exists, but I received no reply to date. It was bad enough that these free email accounts were dropped without notice, then to have everything linked to that email was a pain in the butt to repair, for ex., accounts like this one using that bad email, you know?

I'm finally allowed to sign in again (found my info I had written down a very long time ago) but now how do I know when I physically signed in last in order to meet the criteria? I so much want to update my pages as they are not working correctly right now. How can a free user contact someone with the power to do something about accounts with such problems? I do realize that they MUST get all kinds of emails from free AND pro users, but surely some of us don't know how else to get something fixed if we can't even open up a service ticket.

I'm truly at a loss and I feel like my hands are tied. I suppose if worse comes to worse I could always copy my files and open a new account and start fresh, but I've been a user here since 2003, if not earlier than that, so I'd really feel like I dropped the ball not keeping my end of the deal I guess, you know?

If anyone has advise regarding this issue, I'd really appreciate the reply. I can't imagine a time I wasn't using Bravenet and anyone who mentions website 'ANYthing' is always given Bravenet by me as the 'go to site' to check out for themselves. I hope I can get the answer here, but I'm also happy to post elsewhere if this belongs there instead. Thank you.

SBernheart

PS: I am allowed to use the SFTP applet to upload/download files and using FileZilla, was allowed to sign in there to upload/download as well. I'm just not allowed to update any pages. I haven't tried disabling a page yet, but if I can't repair them or replace them, my only other option IS disabling them, right?

UPDATE: Checked the editor again and this time the left pane said:
The document contains no data.
The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.

Browser: IE8 - Safari for Windows - Firefox

Re: Website Renewal

Really? How long has it been this way?

The expiry rule is as old as Bravenet. Maybe it was less well publicised in the past.

Use a third party FTP program such as Filezilla to connect and clean up your site.

Re: Website Renewal

Thanks for the quick response, Peter. I apologize that it took me a minute to reply.

The expiry rule is as old as Bravenet. Maybe it was less well publicised in the past.
I should read the fine print, huh? They used to list when you first became a member, too, but I haven't seen that around since they last reformatted the look of their own pages. Do you remember that?
Rhetorical -- just wondering.

Use a third party FTP program such as Filezilla to connect and clean up your site.
That's what I ended up doing. Between FileZilla and/or the SFTP applet I did say that I could do that, but I was referring to the fact that I'm NOT able to use Bravenet's visual or text editors and I miss them. Could anything I might be doing (or NOT doing) on my end be the cause of the missing editors? I've had a new computer since March and I haven't been allowed access to the editors since that I can recall, but I assumed that if I am allowed to sign in here and my page was loading properly (with OR without errors) and I can transfer files between FTP's -- I mean, what else IS there?

If I need to fix my security suite's settings or change something to do with 'caches this' or 'cookies that' or what have you, I'm out of ideas and would really appreciate more advise. To the best of my knowledge, all such settings have been addressed, but maybe they need more than 'Bravenet.com' to be allowed? Once again, many thanks....

SBernheart

BTW, Peter -- My husband and I both LOVED the Horatio Hornblower series and wished there were more. Thought you might want to know that 'Hornblower' was spelled with a 'm' instead of a 'n' on your "Days of Sail" page.

Re: Website Renewal -- ANSWERED --

If I need to fix my security suite's settings or change something to do with 'caches this' or 'cookies that' or what have you, I'm out of ideas and would really appreciate more advise. To the best of my knowledge, all such settings have been addressed, but maybe they need more than 'Bravenet.com' to be allowed?
Hate to say this, but it was as simple as adding the 'pub32.' before the 'Bravenet.com' portion and adding that whole address "pub32.Bravenet.com" to my virus program's settings. Nine times out of ten, the program usually doesn't like it when I try to give it too much of an address, so imagine my surprise when, this time, that's exactly what it DID want and DID need to clear the text editor for use.

All I can add for future newbies is to try several addresses before giving up on your 'Allow' lists and/or settings. It took me using a different operating system to figure out for myself that it WAS able to work and what it actually needed to work in Windows 7 as well as it did in Linux. Hope this helps....

SBernheart