This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
excel files

I have hrefs to excel files on my page that have always worked. Just made some changes for the first time in a while and now I get a "file not found" message when I click on the excel files. Excel 2007. Only change since last time is OS to Win 7 but DreamWeaver (4) seems to work fine... any help would be appreciated. bp

Browser: IE8

Re: excel files

You have free hosting so you should never have been able to upload Excel files in the first place. It looks like Bravenet have fixed a bug which was letting you do something contrary to the terms and conditions of your account.

You can put excel files on free sites.

I think the problem here has to do with some changes that were made a few months ago.

If a user made a typo or used incorrect file name our system used to try and find the correct file for them. For example if you typed INDEX.htm but your file was really index.html we would take you to the right place. We no longer do this.

You need to check the spelling and capitalization of your files. Correct them and then they should work fine.

Courtnie

Courtnie,
The following is cut out of a note I got back from Bravenet's support team. It seems to contradict what you said about excel files being ok with free hosting. Please advise:

Bravenet tech support wrote:

"Also, please note that free hosting accounts are limited to the following file types:
.htm, .html, .shtml, .gif, .jpg, .png, .txt, .swf, .mid, .rmi, .au, .wav, .js, .css, .ico, .bmp, .class, .dcr"

Thanks! Brian

Yes, indeed. I just uploaded a file to a free site. But Courtnie, the information given in the Compare Web Hosting page is still:

4. Free hosting accounts are limited to the following file types:
.htm, .html, .shtml, .gif, .jpg, .png, .txt, .swf, .mid,
.rmi, .au, .wav, .js, .css, .ico, .bmp, .class, .dcr

Any other changes we should know about?

I just saved my excel file as a .htm (supposedly supported file type), uploaded it and I still can not launch it from my page. Help!

Brian,

Brian
I just saved my excel file as a .htm (supposedly supported file type), uploaded it and I still can not launch it from my page. Help!
If you attempt to upload a file with a ".xlsx" extension from the File Manager, the upload will fail with the following message.
Upload operation failed - .xlsx is not a valid upload type for a free account. (application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.spreadsheetml.sheet)
However, you can change the extension to ".html", upload the file, and then change the extension back to ".xlsx". No errors will be generated. I just tried it on one of my free test sites, and it worked just fine. And, once it was uploaded, I was also able to open it from a link.

But, if you fail to rename it back to the correct extension, probably no one will be able to use it. Most users access your site from a PC. PCs, and most browsers, depend on the file extension to know what to use to open it up. Always keep the correct extension on a file.
Courtnie from Bravenet
You need to check the spelling and capitalization of your files. Correct them and then they should work fine.
After you put the correct extension on the file, double check that the name in the link is "EXACTLY" the same as the file in the File Manager. The biggest issue is usually a Upper/Lower case mismatch for one of the characters. In the end, you might have to delete the file that is on your site, and then upload a new one.

Browser: Firefox

Brian,

The real problem here is that you are not using the correct file name.

You need to make sure, that the file name in your code 100% matches what the file name is in your file manager. Change your link so that it is pointing at the excel file, just double check your spelling.

As for as excel files, they can currently be uploaded through the SFTP client and third party programs - but not in the file manager. This is why we have not updated the page to reflect this.

Courtnie

I had checked the spelling and case sensitivity before you had even suggested it. Then double checked it 3 times during this process. After your last post, I decided to retype it, and low and behold it works now! Go figure...

Thank you all very much for your efforts!

Brian,

It is important to remember that files are cAsE seNsiTiVE. When I tested your site this morning, I remember you had the file name in all CAPS - I see now you have it in lowercase.

The CAPS were most likely the problem all along.

Courtnie

I still think you can upload excel files. xls, at least. .xlsx or whatever, I don't know.
And I think so, because I did. (linked to)