This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Quick File Transfers?

This may be a dumb question AND the wrong forum, but I'm ready to pull my hair out since I realized I've nearly doubled my free account's Disc Space of 5MB and I'm not sure how I can quickly clean house, if you will, to bring this figure back down to a more manageable amount. The question then? Is there an easy way to copy or send files/folders to my Library of files/folders in Windows Explorer?
I've already gone into Bravenet's 'Websites tab>Website Manager>file manager>' and manually right-clicked 'Download Linked File As...' to my Explorer, but with sooo many files and even just the pictures alone, it's way too time consuming transferring them one at a time. I'm afraid I'm guilty of the "whatever I tried I kept" syndrome and now I've already noticed the effect deleting one pic at a time is doing to my pages. I'm not worried though -- as long as I 'back them up', for a lack of a better term, to my Explorer folders so I can retrieve the ones that are needed back on Bravenet at a later date it'll be OK. Is there a simpler way to do this or am I doomed for stupidity punishable by long hours of tedious work? LOL
It's not funny, but I have to laugh or I'll cry instead, you know? I was too ill to keep up and now I've made more work for myself that I didn't need. I've got a new computer now, so I can afford to keep my 'extra' stuff there until I can go through each page of the website and decide what's truly necessary here.
Thanks, in advance, for any help you can provide. Sorry for the long post -- it's been a while since I've done this and I wanted to provide as much info as possible. Obviously, I've gone on too long! Again, thanks....

SBernheart

Browser: IE8 - Safari for Windows - Firefox

Re: Quick File Transfers?

It looks like your web site started out as a Website Wizard creation, but now you are crediting some design software from CoffeeCup. That suggests that you are designing on your PC and then uploading to your web site. Are you using FTP/SFTP to upload? The usual "publish" operation for most web site design tools is some form of FTP.

If you are not already using FTP/SFTP, download a free copy of FileZilla. The latest version contains SFTP capabilities which is now required with Bravenet. Then you can easily upload, download, copy, and delete to your hearts content. The utility should allow you to select multiple file or folders and upload/download/delete with one mouse operation. Overall this will make it easier for you to manage and backup your web site.

However, you need to double check the disk space on your web site. Generally, when you exceed the aloted 5 MBytes, your site is shut down. But I can still see your web site. This suggests that you are withing the aloted disk space requirement.

You need to fix some of your pages. For example, the style sheet on your Sponsors page is missing because it is referenced to a file on your PC. It may look fine to you, but no one else can see it. The code below is directly from your Sponsor page.

Code:
<link href="/C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Web Sites/Fibrofog/blue_new.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
This is true for some of your other pages.

Also, you are wrapping a anchor link around your header text so that the advertisements are pushed out of view. There is nothing wrong with that except that with Firefox, this is causing your header to change color and font size. When approach it with your mouse cursor it has a tendency to bounce around erratically. Some example code is listed below.
Code:
<div class="title border">
<a name="banners">Banners</a></div>
Because the header text is wrapped in the anchor link it is responding to the Anchor Pseudo-class definitions in your style sheet. You can eliminate the bounce in Firefox by changing the code to look like this:
Code:
<div class="title border">
<a name="banners"></a>Banners</div>
The anchor link will still work as intended, but the header will not bounce around.

Browser: Firefox

Thanks for all the great info, Philo.

"....I can still see your web site. This suggests that you are within the alloted disk space requirement."
Apparently I'm not out of the woods just yet. When I go to the 'text/visual editor' all I see is "The Bravenet FTP server is not available at this time. Please try again later. (No FTP Server Passed In)". I'm not sure what that means in relation to my account being in good standing again, but I'll wait and see for now. In the meantime, I do have PLENTY to work on.

"If you are not already using FTP/SFTP, download a free copy of FileZilla....
....you can easily upload, download, copy, and delete to your hearts content. The utility should allow you to select multiple file or folders and upload/download/delete with one mouse operation."
Yeah, I was familiar with getting files/folders to Bravenet -- just wasn't sure how to get them off without ruining the info. I already recognize items missing because I removed so much stuff at once. I can disable the pages until they're working properly again.

"You need to fix some of your pages....it may look fine to you, but no one else can see it."
This is especially true now because of all the housekeeping I did yesterday to get below 5MBs.

"....you are wrapping a anchor link around your header text....it has a tendency to bounce around erratically. You can eliminate the bounce in Firefox by changing the code....the anchor link will still work as intended, but the header will not bounce around."
Ahh...I kinda liked what I did there, but in fairness, your way should prove more effective! Thanks for the code on that. Well, I wish I didn't have so much to fix -- I feel like I'm back at square one again!! Speaking of 'square one', I did originally start out in 2003 with a Wizard for my front/home page, but I slowly tried learning code to build the other pages and, last I knew, they were working OK. I now see that even with my new computer's larger screen everything seems out of whack. A few years back I made sure all the major browsers of the day could see my pages correctly and I'd check them periodically after that. I'm afraid 2009 wasn't a great year for me health-wise (nothing that couldn't be handled), so my webpages suffered for it. I'm now learning some stuff about Linux, specifically LucidPuppy and Ubuntu, so I may decide to work off of an old hard drive and use it solely for my continued web building experience, but I digress....

Thanks again for the help. I will look up FileZilla, as well as the composers you mentioned on one of your pages. I've heard of a couple like Netscape (God, I haven't heard THAT mentioned in quite a long while) and IrfanView, but I'm always looking for some fresh material to learn from. I'm using SeaMonkey's composer for the moment, hoping to transfer even more unnecessary files off of Bravenet. I no longer have access to CoffeeCup or Microsoft's SharePoint, but they were great even for a beginner like I was when I first used them. While I do admit my home page started out of a Wizard from Bravenet, I wanted to give credit to other programs I used in some way as well. Hope that was OK -- if I use something of yours I'll send kudos your way, too!! ;}

SBernheart

Philo --

You need to fix some of your pages. For example, the style sheet on your Sponsors page is missing because it is referenced to a file on your PC. It may look fine to you, but no one else can see it. The code below is directly from your Sponsor page.
Code:
<link href="/C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Web Sites/Fibrofog/blue_new.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
This is true for some of your other pages.
OMG! I didn't exactly understand what you meant about files being 'on my PC' until it dawned on me that I have a new computer now and some files were still on my old hard drive -- so thank you for THAT because it was a HUGE discovery for me to finally figure out that all my Bravenet files I had saved previously were waiting for me there! I just turned on that drive (my old internal HD now in an enclosure) and all I had to do was to make the correction on the Bravenet site to reflect the newly copied folder/files onto my Win7 folders and voila!! You have no idea how happy this made me and I owe it (and a lot less hours repairing my site) all to you my friend, all to you.

Also, getting back to the bit of code you corrected for me so that my header wouldn't 'bounce around' -- I changed it per your advise and it worked fine, too. On my home page however, in case someone else looks for this on their own page, I needed to make a slight adjustment. The code as it was:
Code:
<b><font size="6"><a name="The">The FMS/ACM Controversy</a></font></b>
The code as it is now:
Code:
<b><a name="The"></a><font size="6">The FMS/ACM Controversy</font></b>
It didn't want to work when the closed anchor was simply placed behind the anchor. It needed to be placed before the 'font' tags. Not fluent in 'code' myself, I'm sure YOU know the reason for this. I do understand that code needs to follow a certain order (sequence) and I was glad to see that that was all it needed to correct the 'bounce' for that page as well.

I've already gone waaay past the length I'd like for this reply, so I won't keep you any longer. Just know that you have saved me so SO much work trying to put my site back to the way it was that I already can't thank you enough. One might think that you really just pointed out the obvious, but obviously, I didn't see it and you DID so YOU get the kudos for it. I hope it makes your day because it most DEFINITELY made mine!

SBernheart