This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
view and edit pages are not the same

Help! I am totally new to this and am trying to update an existing site. When I "view" the website, it is our current pages. When I hit "edit" for the same thing, I am seeing something three years old. I can edit and the changes I make show up on the three year old website. Why am I not able to edit the current website?

Browser: internet explorer

Re: view and edit pages are not the same

what editor are you using to edit your site

if you are in the wizard it shows the page as it was the last time you used that editor

if you edit in the visual/text editor then go back to the wizard and such well you will only see the page as it was last time you used the wizard.

these editors are different and more

If you last used the wizard 3 years ago then that is what the page probably will look like

If you use the wizard then must save and publish their to see updates

if you use the wizard then go to visual/text editor then think you go back to wizard to publish well you just lost all your updates.

Because as said the Wizard editor only stores the site as it was when you last edited and published in that editor

So need to pick one editor and stay with that one and do not go back and forth with them.

Thanks for helping! no matter where I go I have the same problem - view is current page and edit is three years old. It's as if I've been given a three year old username and password. I can't find any newer files. Off to look again!

Lisa,

After looking into your problem it seems as though your website is not hosted here at Bravenet. According to a whois search on your domain your site is hosted at Bluehost.

Your site was here at one time, about 3 years ago - but at some point it must of moved to Bluehost.

Hope this helps.
Courtnie

As Courtnie said your site was 3 years old the last time it was hosted at bravenet so that is why you are seeing what you are

you are trying to edit a site that is NOT HOSTED here at bravenet with bravenet's editors and your page is as it was back 3 years ago as it last was when you had your site here at bravenet but as stated your site is NOT here at bravenet

So go to bluehost.com and login to your account there as your site is hosted their now.

Update with their editors or find one that you can download to your PC and work their and upload with FTP

Thank you both! That explains everything!

I am attempting all this to replace a webmaster that quit suddenly - at least for the short term until a more qualified person can step in!! I did go to the bluehost site and was able to make needed changes in text at least!!!

Thanks again!

that is the big thing that happens when YOU are letting someone else do your site.

They have a tendency to LEAVE YOU HIGH and DRY.

So make sure this NEXT PERSON can be trusted because you are giving them access to important things