This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Second Window

When someone sends me a link or code that I install into a web page, is there a way to get the link to open in a second window ? Thanks

Re: Second Window

Depends on what you are using to edit your site. You need to set a "target" attribute. Most editors will have a field for this. If you are entering native html then add the clause

target="_blank"

to the anchor tag.

Thanks Peter,

I am not an egghead, beyond using the wizard supplied I am totally lost, I really appreciate your input but don't have a clue about what your telling me.

Can you spare the time and walk me through it in layman's terms ?

When you mention the Wizard, very few users would be willing to take the trouble. But it's mostly because the users that are more advanced, usually don't use the Wizard. And, doing anything the Wizard is not specifically designed to do, can get a little complicated. But you will have to decide that.

Initially, there are certain limitations. You can only modify the links that are located in one of your content blocks. These would be the ones you added with the link button. The navigation links that appear in the left sidebar, are generated during the "publish website" operation. You don't have direct access to them from within the Wizard.

When you are editing your content, the default is the "Visual Editor" mode. But there is also a "Code Editor" mode that allows you to see the code. It may look like a jumble of incomprehensible junk, but it really has meaning. As an example, suppose you wanted to modify the first link on your front page attached to the line that says "Did you know a clean titled vehicle at one time could have been a salvage". If you switch to the "Code Editor" mode you will see all the code for that content area. You should be able to do a search (Ctrl-F) and search for some specific text. Below is code from your website, created by the Wizard, for that link. The bolded text is the actual link.

Code:
<P><FONT size=3><STRONG>Did you know a clean titled vehicle at one time could have been a salvage  </STRONG><span style="font-weight:bold;"><A <span style="color: red;">href="http://www.usedcartips.org/ACCID.html"</span>><FONT color=#0000ff face="Times New Roman"><FONT color=#0000ff face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3><SUP><STRONG><span style="color: blue;">ACCID.html</span></STRONG>  </SUP></FONT></FONT></FONT></A></span>

Its a little messy, because that's what the Wizard does, but notice that the actual link is attached to the "href" attribute (red). The text for that link is added later in the code (blue). To make this link open in another window, change the link structure to read like the following. The added change should be green.

Code:
<P><FONT size=3><STRONG>Did you know a clean titled vehicle at one time could have been a salvage  </STRONG><span style="font-weight:bold;"><A <span style="color: red;">href="http://www.usedcartips.org/ACCID.html"</span> <span style="color: green;">target="_blank"</span>><FONT color=#0000ff face="Times New Roman"><FONT color=#0000ff face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3><SUP><STRONG><span style="color: blue;">ACCID.html</span></STRONG>  </SUP></FONT></FONT></FONT></A></span>

Then save your work and publish. Probably, the most difficult time your going to have is finding the right text in your code. But the "find" operation should help you there. Note, you can also modify the text associated with the link (blue) while in the "Code Editor" mode.

Browser: Firefox

Thank you so much Philo.

I will try to understand and work with your post, again thank you for taking the time, will post my results.ooohhhhhhhh