This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Claims site is under construction when it should be visible

I've recently added an index.htm page yet wen I try to viw it (by going to ww.machinationsworld.com) it tells me that the site is "under construction"

I've tried renaming it to ".html" and it makes no difference.

ww.machinationsworld.com/index.htm works just fine, but how do I make it work with just "ww.machinationsworld.com"?

I've been going at this thing for hours trying to get it going, to no avail and I'm too tired now to figure this out anymore.

Can anyone help please?

Addendum: "www.ww.machinationsworld.com" works just fine (In case it's not already obvious, you're only meant to find the page if you mistype the address so it should appear if you type "ww.machinationsworld.com"

I also have html and htm versions of the index page...so how do I make this work?

Browser: FF

Re: Claims site is under construction when it should be visible

I see a blog

But with your page it looks for it as index.html so if you have it as index.htm

that is why may have the under construction page you need to delete the index.html page

unless you are seeing what is in your cache then clear your cache

your page www.machinationworld.com and www.machinationworld.com/index.htm are the same page but a browser issue with seeing it.

work on your www

I'm not sure why you want it to work the way it does, but it does work. Your problem is probably your browser caching your previous visits. When your testing your website through a browser you should always use a couple of browser refreshes (F5 or Ctrl-R), to make sure you are seeing the latest data. Otherwise it will just display the screen from the last visit. In your case, that would be the error page.

By default, when a user uses your URL, the server looks for a "index.html" file. If it doesn't find one, it looks for a "index.htm". There may be others that it looks for after that. I believe that Bravenet now supports "home.html", to be compatible with users moving their hosting from other places. Only after all the search possibilities are exhausted do you get an error message.

I see your site at the following URLs. They are all the same page.

ww.machinationsworld.com
ww.machinationsworld.com/index.htm
ww.machinationsworld.com/index.html
www.ww.machinationsworld.com

You can leave both the "index.htm" and the "index.html" file around. It won't bother anything. However, it is probably best to delete one of them so it doesn't cause you confusion later.

Browser: Firefox

Many thanks to both of you. :)

Browser: FF

sorry to break in on this thread, BUT i'm having the same problem. i have cleared my cache and transferred my files again. (through ftp)

i've checked my site on several computers and it keeps coming up...website under construction.

anyone have any suggestions for me?

Browser: mozilla

with the under construction page you have NO

index.html page made and in your root folder

SO YOU NEED TO upload your index.html page to your root directory

what editor are you using as well.

it looks for your page as

carberbhcs.bravehost.com/index.html

so if you have NO index.html page you get the placeholder under construction page

could be with your editor it made an index_files folder and you have your homepage in their

But it should be in your root directory not in a subfolder of your root directory

i use ms frontpage.

i will look at the root folder and see where the index file is. i know the index file has been uploaded but i'm a bit confused about root and subfolders.

thanks for the info.