This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
web template not formatting in all browser types

Hi:

Our website, made from a bravehost template, is formatted well in Firefox. but looks terrible in IE. What do I need to add to my html to make it viewable in IE as well? Thanks.

Martina

Browser: Firefox and IE

Re: web template not formatting in all browser types

The most common problem with using Templates on Bravenet is using the Visual Editor.

The first line in a template is usually a "DOCTYPE" tag. This tag basically defines the level a which the HTML should be interpreted. This usually help the template work the same in different browsers. If you look at the original files you downloaded for the template, and open it up in a text editor, I am sure you will see this line.

However, the Bravenet Visual Editor does not recognize this line and deletes it, when a user saves their changes. The result is usually a layout that looks pretty good in one browser, but terrible in another. Usually, Firefox fares better the Internet Explorer, when the "DOCTYPE" tag is missing. The only way to get it back is to use the Text Editor, copy in the first line or two from the original, and than save your work. But, the next time you used the Visual Editor it will delete it again.

The Visual Editor has been bad for many years. Probably since it was originally introduced. It appears that Bravenet has no intention of fixing it. So your best option is to use a HTML editor on your desktop PC and then use FTP to upload your changes. There are several good free editors available.

Browser: Firefox

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help.

Martina

Your home page looks fine in both Firefox and IE now. But remember, you need to add the DOCTYPE tag to all of your pages. Just adding it to your home page doesn't fix the entire site.

And, thank you for helping our furry friends. I have 4 dogs myself. My wife is a dog trainer/behaviourist and voluntarily runs the Dog Therapy program at our local hospital (~30 dogs strong). Two of our dogs are certified therapy dogs and one is a service dog. We work with the local animal shelters and have found good homes for many dogs. So I personally appreciate your efforts in West Georgia. If you need any more help, let me know.

Browser: Firefox

That is wonderful that you and your wife are so dedicated to helping animals. We need more people like you!

I updated all the pages and will remember to add the code if I have to use the visual editor again.

Thanks!!!

Martina