This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Changing filenames

The hosting service has suddenly become case sensitive, and as a result links to many of my pages are broken.

Is it possible to change any or all filenames to lower case so that one can create consistent links to and between pages?

Browser: Firefox

Re: Changing filenames

Bravenet made these changes a while back. Apparently you were lost and didn't pay attention

so now you have to correct the mistakes with your links as bravenet took out the software that automatically corrected case sensitive mistakes or spelling mistakes

Its easier to correct the spelling in the links than to rename the files.

Peter

I find that hard to believe.

I suppose the solution is to change all the file names to upper case, and then make sure all links are upper case as well.

Well an example of a wrong link you have and the change YOU need to make

your albania/greece link is

http://hayesfam.bravehost.com/albrep1.htm

just change to ALBREP1.HTM and it will work.

Same with the rest test them out. Bravenet made these changes and since you have a free hosted/subdomain will need to go in and make changes yourself.

Making corrections to your links is up to you if you want them to work correctly. If you don't like the changes bravenet made their are other places to go

Originally Posted by Peter

I find that hard to believe.

I tried to fix a similar problem under Windows once. Renaming the file from filename.html to FILENAME.HTML changed the display values but left the underlying file name unchanged. I don't know if Bravenet's File Manager works in the same way but I simply wouldn't risk it.

My pages were originally hosted by Geocities. I tried to keep all links consistently lower case, because Geocities had a facility to change the filenames to lower case when uploading them, even if the program I used to edit them stored them as upper case.

When Geocities "lost" them back in 2006, I moved them to Bravenet, and even though it didn't have a facility to change the fileneams to lower case when I was uploading them, they still seemed to work OK. Now they don;t.

So all I was asking was whether there was a way of changing the case of the file names. There either is or there isn't, but it seems that people who can't be helpful have some compulsion to be rude.

Bravenet removed the ability to have your links corrected if you had a spelling or case sensitivity issue

But apparently you don't want to follow what we have said to do

It isn't THAT MUCH to go into your editor AND CORRECT the spelling/case sensitivity errors you have

When I did mine I had over 200 file names and links to these on different pages were over 800. so I changed the file names saved 75% of the time needed to change the links. takes time whichever way. so you just have to get on with it.