This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Using web template to replace my current site

Hi, I want to change my current website design I got from the web wizzard by using the web template..I already uploaded the new template to my account but I can't get through on how to put it on my current site...pls. help! Thanks.

Re: Using web template to replace my current site

.I already uploaded the new template to my account but I can't get through on how to put it on my current site

Could you be a bit clearer on what you mean by "put it on my current site"? The site you gave us the URL for is not a Wizard site, but built on a template called "Nature's Charm". What is a current site, and why don't you just upload the same files there?

The key words here are the "Wizard" and "Template" being used all in the same request.

It doesn't matter whether the template is from Bravenet, or any other source, it can not be used "with" the Website Wizard. The Website Wizard is limited to the Themes and Layouts available within the Wizard. So if you want to use a template out side of the Wizard, you will need to move all your data yourself. A template is nothing more than a basic web page structure. It doesn't do anything special, without you putting in a bit of work.

I have noticed that you are trying to edit the "Natures Charm" template with Bravenet's Visual Editor. I don't recommend it's use because the Visual editor does a validation of sorts, and deletes tags and structures that it doesn't recognize. This makes it completely undependable for editing anything but very simple web pages. Any design that depends on a tag, like the "Natures Charm" template, can not be edited effectively with the Visual editor.

The effects of the missing tag are evident in the template's display. With Internet Explorer 7, all the information on the page is blocked to the left. Whereas, it should be centered. With Firefox 3.6.4, the page is centered OK, but the navigation tabs are randomly spread on the page. Firefox also changes the location of the link you have in the header, on the right. This is mostly caused by the other heading, where is says "Welcome to Doreen's site", being too long. If you shorten it to just "Doreen's site", the links would fit and display in the right place.

For both browsers, the font in the header is white, wheras it should be black. This is because the header entries are suppose to be wrapped in link structures. But you have them outside the link which changes the color.

If the Wizard was working well for you, you should stay with it. Templates are nice, but a lot of work to keep up. Plus, Bravenet does not provide effective on-line tools to work with templates. But if you want to use a template, get the right tools. Download a good web page design tool and develop your pages on your PC. Then you can upload the new/changed pages, when even you need to. Try looking at my page on Template Editing for some suggestions on free design tools.

Browser: Firefox

Thank you for replying to my post..when I made this post, I didn't realize that I accidentally overwrite the files that were shown before in my site...it was a site I built through the wizzard..that has been replaced now with this "Nature's charm" site.

Thank you anyway

Thank you Philo Kvetch. I appreciate your time replying to my post. It helps me understand now about bravenet web templates..I thought at first, it works like the wizzard with the auto generated web building and uploading. So now it's clear to me that It's better for me to download the template first to my computer and edit it in Dreamweaver for more manageability and then upload on the FTP.

Thank you very much..I'll check the link you put here:-)