This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Website

I have purchased a Domain Name fishingoutdoors.co.nz - does anyone know how I can get this transferred to bravenet so I can dvelop a website and hosting through bravenet?

Re: Website

You can add your domain as an external domain and start building your site that way.

After logging into your Bravenet account:
From the domain tab, click "Add external domain"
Enter your domain and click "add domain| but before you do.... On the right hand side it will show you your Bravenet name servers, add those namesevers to your domain. You can do so by logging into the area where you domain is hosted and finding something like "edit namesevers" - once you have them saved there it can take 24-72 hours for the changes to save.

Once you have added your domain and saved the name servers click the websites tab at bravenet. Click create a website, select use an existing domain - from the drop down select your website and click create. And now you can build your site.

Just remember, it can take up to 24-72 hours for the nameservers to change so you may not see your website right away.

Hope this helps,
Courtnie

Thanks Courtnie - I followed that thru okay except my domain is new and not hosted anywhere as yet. So i'm not sure how to find "the area where your domain is hosted" Can you help further please

Domain hosting and website hosting are two separate things although most people run both through the same company.

The company that sold you the domain will be hosting it at the moment. You can transfer your domain to a different host but they must be explicitly licenced to host .nz domains. From Courtnie's comment Bravenet probably aren't.

Your present domain host will give instructions on how to link it up with your web hosting. You need to set this up at BOTH ends so that the domain host knows where to send the traffic and Bravenet knows which customer the traffic is for.

Do understand that every visitor to your site will be bounced across the Pacific to Canads. There is always a risk of performance degredation due to damage to undersea telecoms cables (the Pacific ones are prone to earthquake damage) and simply lack of bandwidth on the international connection.