This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Recent Bravenet Upgrade-Site Showing as Unpublished

Thanks to the following-I am assuming, as I have not done any editing, my website is now displaying as an unpublished site. Of course some images are missing now. I have paid hosting.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas-not sure how to find the .htaccess file. I have a support ticket in, but I thought someone else might have run into this and have an idea on how to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Added Side-note; This could not have happened at a worse time-I just gave out my website URL to a business contact I met today-how embarrassing!

Announcement from Bravenet (July 03, 2010)

We've recently changed the default setting for Mod_speling from enabled to disabled. This module attempts to correct misspellings or CaSe SeNsItIvItY of URL's that you might have made. If you've noticed that some links or images have recently stopped working, this is why. The issue is that there is a typo or incorrect case somewhere in the link you've created. Previously this would have been automatically fixed by the server, but now you're going to have to go in and correct those mistakes. Paid hosting users can change the default setting by using an .htaccess file.

Browser: Firefox

Re: Recent Bravenet Upgrade-Site Showing as Unpublished

Below is from another thread post on issues with the upgrades

Read it; May help you with your issues as examples below are issues another member had and Courtnie from Bravenet made the response below

For example, you have your image: DSCF9173.JPG.

Previously, if you placed your image on your website and had it like this - DSCF9173.jpg - it would work. But now you need to make sure to code it as DSCF9173.JPG.

The same thing goes with index.htm - if you type it index.html before, it would work. But now you have to type in index.htm - or vice versa.

We didn't go in and touch your files, you had a typo and have had it all along. Now we have changed some settings that is no longer fixing typos for you.

And don't think you are alone - even my own Bravenet websites are missing images! But it is quick and easy to fix.

We also do not recommend messing with a .htaccess unless you know EXACTLY what you doing. .htacess can render your site un-usable if you type in the wrong code. If you only have a few broken links or missing images we suggest editing the typos manually.

Hope this helps,
Courtnie

Thanks for your reply-yes I saw that thread. It does not help to rename the page from .html to .htm as it still looks unpublished. I find upper case lettering makes for untidy code when one is hand-coding. I do not care for the changes at all! :( And as a paying member, who has been here for at least five years, I think they could have notified us before hand!
Besides I tried renaming the files, and the picture did not reappear, nor did the published version of my site-the site is unusable at the moment-and your reply was quicker than the help ticket I filed. I see the ticket still has not been assigned. I thought we had 24/7 assistance with paid accounts.
Thanks for trying to help!

No 24/7 assistance even with Paid.

I moved my hosting to a friend and have had a better time than here but hopefully your problem will be solved when the week starts if no one answers at least tomorrow.

It is the weekend

Just keep watching your ticket

I do see your site online at least the link you provided

Bravenet posted changes were coming and they post things in their newsletters so pay attention to those and monitor the forum as well as they post updates coming

But I do agree these changes do seem odd with changing html to htm or using JPG instead of jpg

No 24/7 assistance even with Paid.

I have seen tech support responses at all hours of the day and night. If a problem relates to billing or needs to be referred upwards then it gets held over until office hours, no different to any of the several hosting services that I have had dealings with over the years.

I find upper case lettering makes for untidy code when one is hand-coding.

Absolutely. I totally agree with you. And that takes care of the question of where the mistake is - the coding or the file names.

Keep the coding as it is, change the file names to match. In your case, the most important thing will be to change the name of your css file from Style.css to style.css, which is what your coding tells us it should be.

When you have done that, you should see a major change in your site, and you can correct other typos one by one.

The problem is one of typos on your part.

I got a response which I am posting, in case anyone else has this problem;

Create a new file titled:
.htaccess
Then edit the file and add:
CheckSpelling On
Then save changes.

This totally worked!

Well I have to do that for my mother's site, which is unpaid hosting here ... with lots and lots of pictures.