This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
How do I pont my domain name to my exisiting bravehost website?

I recently purchased a domain name from VERIO and I want to point it to my website at http://modernhome2u.bravehost.com/index.html
How do I go about it?
Thanks in advance/David Boey

Browser: Firefox

Re: How do I pont my domain name to my exisiting bravehost website?

Well, I've always purchased hosting and domains from the same source, but I should think you need to ask Verio that. Go to
http://support.verio.com/

It looks like you can do it from their Control Panel, but apparently there is a new control panel and an old control panel, with different help files.

VERIO said I should get Bravenet to give me their IP address and nameserver info but being the greenhorn that I am, there is something beyond me. I have to admit this is quite unlike the other domains I bought at Namecheap that just lets me key in the URL I want the domain name to point to. :)

If you log into your Bravenet, there is a link that says "domains". Then click on the link that says "Add External Domain". At the bottom right of the display window, are the Primary and Secondary domain names that Bravenet wants you to use. These are the names that your domain name manager (VERIO) is asking for. You should be able to just use the names. The IP addresses shouldn't be necessary. There should be a selection in your control panel that lets you enter the Bravenet domain names.

Then, in the space provided by Bravenet, enter your domain name where it says "Domain to add". Locally, it may only take a few hours for your domain name to start working. But globally, it can take anywhere from 24 to 72 hours for Bravenet to set up their DNS, and for all of the internet domain name servers to request updates.

The domain names that you may have been use to were either simple redirects or wrappers. The on you are working with now, is how a domain name is suppose to work. But redirects have their use. For details on what a redirect really is, try this link to URL redirection.

Browser: Firefox, Internet Explorer

I have done that so most probably I will have to wait the 24 hours and see if it is right
Thanks