This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cannoy Access My Site

The only I can access my site is by adding/index.htm at the end. Can this be fixed with htaccess? If so where do I find it?
Lance

Re: Cannoy Access My Site

Nothing seems to need "fixing". Your URL works fine in every browser i tried.

Lance has made 4 posts saying nothing is working

I see his messy site

He has messed something up with his frames he has to have with his main page

Rest of his pages The background and text don't fit right.

You don't need to put index.htm with your pages if you already have index.html and whatever your other pages saved as .html

You just have no skills with designing or really have a clue to much

Lance,

It looks like you have two files: index.htm and index.html - by default your domains loads an index file - in your case you have two, and the domain has no idea what one you want. From the sounds of it you wish for it to load index.htm instead. You are going to need to rename your index.html to something totally different and update your code to reflect the new file name.

Courtnie

Thanks
I am 70 years old. I started 10 years ago knowing nothing and by trial and error I got this far. I have deleted the index.files and history. the site is syil running.

All I want to know is how to fix it as I don't know how

Lance

Well now you have no index.html page you have the 403 error page

Guess due to you deleting your index files and more

SO you need to upload your index.html page or your index.htm page whichever one you want it to be but can't upload both.

You decide if you want your homepage index.html or index.htm and then publish it in your editor.

Check all your links and make sure they are working and you have no SPELLING errors in your links

I know as you get older keeping up with things and more gets harder

I have got rid of the frames and I am now using a single page but I stil get the frame page when I try to access my site even though I have cleared the history.

When I deleted the index file I still got the frame page once again I cleared the history.

This happenns on all my 4 computers. Could there be a problem on site?

Lance

I see a background or double background like you were trying to do frames but the one frame seems to be on right side

And only a menu area on left

Could be you have not changed your page properly with fact you formerly had frames so you probably still have some coding interfering.

The coding for your page seems odd but perhaps someone with more html knowledge or such could help a little more

You may just have to totally start over with your main page and save it as EITHER index.htm or index.html

But as said your browser probably is still showing the cached page so hit refresh a few times You probably still have the frame page due to fact you have a main index.html page as with frames you have two pages you are working with in one.

So you have 2 different files

I have been able to access my site by adding /index.htm. All links work. I think there is a spelling mistake in the hidden htaccess file. I am running WS-FTP Home. This doesn't seem to be able to do this.
What is a good cheep program to carryout do this alteration?

Thanks
Lance

We've recently changed the default setting for Mod_speling from enabled to disabled. This module attempts to correct misspellings or CaSe SeNsItIvItY of URL's that you might have made. If you've noticed that some links or images have recently stopped working, this is why. The issue is that there is a typo or incorrect case somewhere in the link you've created. Previously this would have been automatically fixed by the server, but now you're going to have to go in and correct those mistakes. Paid hosting users can change the default setting by using an .htaccess file.

I know this. My site was started by a wizard. I do not know anything about htaccess.

Is it a hidden file?

Where do I find it?

How do I make one? Where do I get a tutorial?

Is there a program I can use?

Lance

Browser: W7

Read again the line that says:

The issue is that there is a typo or incorrect case somewhere in the link you've created.

You almost certainly can find a tutorial out there. But even if I could explain exactly what to do in this message (I seem to remember trying to do something to a .htaccess file once. But being past 50, I would have to start from scratch if I needed to so again.), it would probably be easier and quicker for you to simply correct the typos.b Tidier too, of course.

The background was the photo fitting the page

I have tried to change the front page but I still get some links from a previous page.
When I use the /index.htm I get what everyone sees.
This appears on all my computers.
I think that some how some of the old page has not over written.
This seems to be the problem all along.
It wasn't until I went to a shop and tried it outthat I found the trauble..
Could anyone help please'

Browser: Internet explorer

Help you do what, exactly?

Your main page now seems fine, background in place, and a menu. The links all work and go to your site, except for the national events link, where you have added a slash at the beginning of an external link. Remove the slash, and it will work.

I cannot access my site without putting /index.htm at the end of the address on all my computers. I get the origional frame page

Browser: internet explorer

the link for your website IS

www.nzlinedance.com/index.htm

or www.nzlinedance.com

index.html page doesn't exist

What I see is a background overlaying another background sort of behind it because the right side has a different image and on left side see your menu bar area

Your index.html page is now index.htm

The coding is odd with your page as not sure what editor you are using.

Plus not sure if it is coding for frames or what from your previous site.

May have to just start from scratch your main page over again or something.

I am using WS-FtP Homeugny
I have deleted the frames off the site. I can access mysite using a computer the same model ( Apple ) in athe shop I baught it from.I can get in with the new page showing. no problem but still get the frames on my computers.

Lance

Browser: internet explorer

That should tell you something. The pages you see on your computer do not exist any more. Except as cached files on your computer. Next time you see the frames, try reloading the page. If that doesn't help, empty your cache.

I have already done this. I have also emeptied the temp internet files

Browser: Internet Explorer

Well then YOU have done something then

OPEN A SUPPORT TICKET

and see what they say

WE seem to have NO CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING

Are you saying that when you go to
http://www.nzlinedance.com/
you come to a page with old frames?

Or are we talking about some other page ("home.html" or whatever)?

In the former case, no matter how many times you tried to empty your cache, that must be the problem. Try using a browser you don't normally use (download one if you have to), and look at your page then.

The problem has now been fixed. I did a wipe and clean
for the second time. Thistime it worked

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Lance

Browser: IE