This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Question

I am redesigning my present site with a new
software. The one that is up now was done with Dreamweaver. My new one is being created with Xara Web Designer 6...how can I publish the new one, still keeping the old one until I know it all works correctly?
Without changing the domain name?
Thanks,
Deanna

Browser: Foxfire

Re: Question

Well since you used Dreamweaver with your site and changed editors you still publish the same way

FTP

You used Dreamweaver's FTP program so now you need to find a third party ftp program and upload your files

The ftp is not the problem...I have a third party ftp.
But, will be using the new editor to upload. Just do not want to overwrite the files that are already there.
Want to add the new ones so that they do not overwrite the old ones. Can I do that? And still use my domain same name. I guess what I am asking is do I need to create a new folder maybe?

Browser: Foxfire

If you have used absolute addressing then you have a problem. Make sure that you have a complete copy of the old site, FTP the new site at a time of day when you don't have many visitors and if you have a problem then FTP the old site back.

If you have used relative addressing, then I would put the new site in a Bravenet subdomain to test it before uploading to the main site.

I am assuming that you have features that cannot be tested at a local level. Every feature of a static site, bar one, can be tested on your PC. (links looked up locally on a PC are not case sensitive, on the server they are).

What you should have done to plan for testing is design the new site to have everything except the home page in a different folder structure. That way you could have had the two sites in parallel and just use FTP to flip the home pages.