This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SMF OR MYbb Forum

Has anyone here successfully installed SMF or Mybb Forums on the bravehost server here....I am willing to bet NOT!

It seems it's an impossible feat, I think they set a few road blocks to insure you wouldn't be able to get a forum to work other than the bravehost forum....
Everyone else with a differnt host has their pick of choice forum packages like this even some on free servers ...unless you are on a bravehost server, paid hosting or not....

Browser: IE 8 / FireFox

Re: SMF OR MYbb Forum

I have used these forums elsewhere and not at bravenet

I don't think of bravenet as a good place for hosting.

Have better places for that and friends too

Bravenet also prevents you from running any shell scripts,...talk about taking away all of the good functionality.
We are gettin closer and closer to nothing allowed here but static pages.... I have been thinking about switching anyway and only paying for 4 months at a time so I'm ready...who would you reccommend?

Browser: IE 8 / FireFox

I admit that Bravenet's forum are not very good, but Bravenet does not block you from using a different one. In your Bravenet account, the help area has a PHP Program Compatibility list. The list does not include Mybb, but it does include SMF, phpBB2, phpBB3, and a few others. You may need to check the chart to see if it supports the version you are trying to install.

They are using PHP 5.2 as a fastcgi interface, so there is some scripting support. However, I couldn't find any detail on which scripting languages are supported. My guess would be PHP and Perl, but not much else.

As far as another host, you might try GoDaddy.com. I will leave the price/option comparisons to you, but you will be impressed. I have my domain names with them and will probably be moving my hosting there.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....