This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Closing down our website BUT wish to retain website name

We are closing down our website because we cannot afford to keep it running right now. We do wish to keep ownership of our website name so that no one else may open a website using that name. Can somebody here please advise how we should proceed?

Thank you,
Hellen

P.S. Our website hosting has always been a paid hosting with Bravenet.

Re: Closing down our website BUT wish to retain website name

You hosting and your domain name can be two different things. Are you using a Bravenet subdomain name or do you have your own domain name?

If you have a Bravenet subdomain name, your web site URL would end in something like "...bravehost.com". I believe, in this case, if you stopped paying your hosting, your site would revert to a free site. Once a free site, if it had more than 5 MBytes of data on it, it would not be accessible by anyone. But you would still effectively be the owner of the URL. You may want to ask Bravenet for the specifics on this issue.

However, if you are using a domain name, you need to keep up the rent. Domain names are rented on a yearly basis. If you don't pay the rent, the name is made available to anyone, as long as they pay the rent. You don't have to do anything with it. You can just park it until your ready to start again. You can even move your hosting to some other web host, and use the same domain name. But to keep it you need to pay the yearly rent. The rent on a domain name is generally much less than hosting ($15-$20 per year).

If there is anything on your web site, that you really don't want to lose, I recommend that you download all the data and burn it to a CD/DVD. Then you have a backup that can be used to resurrect your original site on Bravenet, or move to another web host.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Re: Closing down our website BUT wish to retain website name

Philo Kvetch
You hosting and your domain name can be two different things.quote]

Thank you Philo Kvetch for pointing that out. What I meant to say is that we wish to keep our "domain" name. We can afford to pay the rent, jst not the bigger fes for keeping the site on (for now).

You mention saving to CD.. is that hard to do? Sorry, but I'm not to expert on these things. I actualy tried but not too successful. We're using windows VISTA.

Thank you again for all the help!

Hellen