This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
HELP HELP HELP........

Help, I don't know what's happened with my website, after adding photos last month, after I published, then tried to access this it the message I get:

Sorry! You are not authorized to view this page...
You might not have permission to view this directory or page. If you are attempting to browse a directory, it is possible that directory browsing has been disabled by the site owner.

What does this mean......WTF? I didn't disable the site, and how do I change this?

Thanks,
Cherie

Re: HELP HELP HELP........

Sounds like something happened to your main page. That error comes up when there's no main page published. Try publishing again and make sure to publish all your files.

Anonymous was no help as isn't and apparently they don't know much

Your issue as you stated you added images

Well did you size down your images to an appropriate size probably not

Your issue is YOU WENT OVER your 5mb of space limit as you probably have free hosting/free subdomain

Need to go through your files and optimize your images/resize with a graphics program. Try irfanview

Then upload them and then your space should come down and your site should start to show back up again

Kevin

Your issue is YOU WENT OVER your 5mb of space limit as you probably have free hosting/free subdomain

Need to go through your files and optimize your images/resize with a graphics program. Try irfanview

Thanks so much, and yes, I do have free hosting. I went through all my pictures, resized as well as deleted some, but it didn't help. Is there somewhere I can see how much space I have used?

Log in. Click websites. Look for Storage used. Any images over 50 kb? No reason why they should be.

A digital camera will be taking print quality photos which will be well over 1megabyte each.

Using html parameters to adjust the size doesn't change the size of the underlying file, you need to use some photo editing software to do that before your upload.

There is a free package called Irfanview which will do the of cropping, resizing and cretaing thumbnails.

Cherie
Is there somewhere I can see how much space I have used?

Yes. When you log into your Bravenet account, under the heading of Web Hosting, is a list of your web sites and the Disk Space used. You are allowed to have multiple free hosting web sites, but the total space used by all of them must be less than 5 MBytes.

Once you get your space below the 5 MByte limit, force a couple of browser refreshes (F5 or Ctrl-R) when you are viewing your web site. This will force your browser to update it's memory instead of showing you the same old error message. The web server may also be a little slow to update itself. So, even though you have reduced your disk usage, you may have to wait. How long is unknown.

And, as Anonymous pointed out, the lack of a "index.html" file does generate a similar error. I don't think that's the issue here, but it is another possibility.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Ok, I resized all my photos on photobucket yestereday, and I even deleted a entire page of pictures....I'm so confused here. I tried the refresh thing, didn't work.....Disk Space 12.3 out of 5; that was what it was before I resized pictures and deleted the picture page......

thanks for the help, guess i'll just go to another site and start over, i've had this since 06, what a bummer........

I know it is a bummer for you but Bravenet reduced their free hosting/free subdomain space here last year and still some people have not been keeping up.

There are other places that give you more space with their free hosting but limitations is no customer support probably as they cater to Paying customers so probably would have to hope they have the forum like here

Cherie
I resized all my photos on photobucket yestereday, and I even deleted a entire page of pictures....I'm so confused here. I tried the refresh thing, didn't work.....Disk Space 12.3 out of 5; that was what it was before I resized pictures and deleted the picture page......

How did you resize the pictures? After the resize, did you delete the original photos? Do you link to the pictures on photobucket or do you copy them to your web site?

A web page with pictures doesn't really contain the pictures. It only contains "img" tags which link to the pictures. So, deleting the page that only links to the pictures, doesn't recover very much space, unless you also delete the pictures.

I just ran an experiment in my Bravenet account. My account was listing my site as "Disk Space: 2.5 MB of 5.0 MB". So I uploaded four images for a total of about 1.1 MBytes. When I went back and looked, it showed "Disk Space: 3.6 MB of 5.0 MB". I then deleted them and the listing went right back to "Disk Space: 2.5 MB of 5.0 MB". This tells me that the listing they show is pretty accurate and is a good representation of your disk usage.

This also indicates that you haven't deleted everything you need to. If your pictures are on photobucket, they do not need to be on your web site. You can link directly to them on photobucket. Then their size would not be included in your Web site's Disk Space calculations. Use the File Manager and start looking at your web site files. The file sizes are listed. It may not be images that are giving you problems.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....