This Message Forum is no longer in use

Please use the new Bravenet Help Forums FOUND HERE

General Forum
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Used 'Rename' on a file but now page can't be edited. How do I fix this please?

I wanted to change the name of a page in my site so I did what I was supposed to do: I right-clicked on the filename (in the Visual/Text Editor), clicked on 'Rename', then renamed it. Now the page has lost the ability to be edited!!!

How can I fix this please?

Browser: Firefox

Re: Used 'Rename' on a file but now page can't be edited. How do I fix this please?

Just a wild guess...when you renamed the file you didnt include the file extension

Re: Used 'Rename' on a file but now page can't be edited. How do I fix this please?

Ahhhh, no.

I just gave the page a new name for the menu bar!

I'll go try the full extension. Thanks Mac

Seems you renamed index.html to home.html, is that right?

http://www.astronomycamps.bravehost.com/home.html

I guess yes, since the above link takes me to your main page. Bad idea. I don't remember much of my brief experiments with the Wizard, but since your menu says "book a camp" while the file is sanely named booking.html, you should be able to change the menu without renaming the page.

Corwings
Seems you renamed index.html to home.html, is that right?

http://www.astronomycamps.bravehost.com/home.html

I guess yes, since the above link takes me to your main page. Bad idea. I don't remember much of my brief experiments with the Wizard, but since your menu says "book a camp" while the file is sanely named booking.html, you should be able to change the menu without renaming the page.

Yes, but I needed to change the name of the page as I got it wrong the 1st time. I also changed the next page: 'About Us' to 'Upcoming Camps' but I managed to get it all to work properly by using Mac's suggestion about using the extension in the 'rename' process.
All is fine now, thanks

your main page/home page is supposed to be index.html to your site

So need to make it something then you can add in your other pages to whatever you wish to name them

Skip
your main page/home page is supposed to be index.html to your site

So need to make it something then you can add in your other pages to whatever you wish to name them

Why does it have to be 'index.html'?
It's only a name. What is wrong with using 'home.html'?

Dragon Man
Why does it have to be 'index.html'?
It's only a name. What is wrong with using 'home.html'?

The web host could allow the use of "home.html" as easily as anything else, but they didn't. The issue is with the configuration of the web host's web server. And, your probably not going to get them to change it. It would be a lot of work for Bravenet, for very little gain.

All web servers have an associated configuration file. For Bravenet, I believe they are using an Apache Web Server, running under Linux. A pretty standard configuration, but very flexible. The server configuration file tells the server how to handle accesses. With Bravenet, when a visitor enters a URL without any file name, the server first looks for a file named "index.html". If that isn't found it looks for "index.htm". Failing that, the server delivers an error message.

This doesn't just work for your initial site access. Any and all of your web site directories can have files named "index.html" to be used as default. Then, with a URL, you only need to append the directory name. Like, "http://www.somesite.com/somedirectory". That will look for a file named "index.html" in the directory specified. This is similar to, but not quite the same as, creating a "subdomain". But, if you want to access a file with a different name, like "home.html", you need to append it to the URL. Just like any other linked page.

There was a time when many of the web hosts allowed the use of "home.html". This was something that users understood better. But most of those hosts are gone now and the industry has moved back to the original standard. And, any current web page design application, uses the "index.html" as a standard. Some allow you to change it, but some do not.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Well, it works fine as home.html so I don't understand the problem.

as we said your main page in order to be recognized needs to either be index.html or index.htm

if you delete the index.html page you get a 403 error page and that could be a problem

all hosts when you get a domain or free subdomain look for your home page as either of the above and you just edit it to your liking and add on any other pages you want

Everything Philo said is TRUE just have to go with the way things need to be.

Well, it appears that Bravenet has included a search for "home.html" in their web server. You can now use "index.html", "index.htm", or "home.html" for your home page. I just tried it and it does work. On one of my test sites, I changed the "index.html" page to "home.html". The site can be accessed just fine without specifying the page name. But if I specify "index.html" on the end, I get a "File Not Found" error.

There was a big social networking site that shut down recently. I believe they used "home.html" for their home pages. I assume that Bravenet adjusted their servers, to make it easier for users to transfer their sites. Not all web hosts are as accommodating. Should you move your site to another host, you might have problems.

Some web design applications have a option that let's you use "home.html" as a main page. But they still default to using "index.html". For on-line tools, like the Wizard, you are not given a choice for the home page.

So, if it works use it. There is no problem. You originally asked why it needs to be "index.html", and I explained. That explanation has now been updated.

Browser: Firefox, Netscape, Sea Monkey, Internet Explorer, .....

Thanks Philo